Re: [News] Compiz Does Increase Productivity in the GNU/Linux Desktop

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 15 January 2008 12:44 : \____

>> Five Compiz features to boost Linux productivity
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The cube is perhaps the most hyped feature of the 3D desktop. And,
>>| surprisingly, I found that once you actually start using it Cube is
>>| actually quite useful, and not just flashy. When cube is enabled you can
>>| use the Ctrl-Alt key combination together with mouse to rotate the cube and
>>| display all the desktops you have active. It is remarkably easy to use and
>>| actually makes it easier to switch through desktops rapidly.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2006
>>

> Interesting - I tend to regard most UI decoration as useless distraction
> once out of the shop, but perhaps this is actually valuable beyond
> the showroom.

It depends which ones you are using and what you are used to. I don't have a
GPU at home, but Compiz worked out of the box and it's incompatible with what
I'm _used_ to. Many people face the same experience when moving from
GNOME<->KDE<->Windows<->OS X. It's a matter of habits, orientation, mastering
all the pertinent new features (e.g. will a Windows user make use of virtual
desktops at all or will s/he just minimise and restore instead?).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | McDonald's does to diet what Microsoft does to PC's
 14:05:02 up 36 days,  2:53,  4 users,  load average: 1.44, 1.78, 1.99