Re: Desktop Linux Usage Keeps Growing Steadily (and Quietly) Every Year

> ____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 11 January 2008 04:47 : \____
>
>> Cletus Spencer <cspencer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. Linux is growing in the server space by cannabilizing Unix installs.
>>> Most everyone already knows this.
>>
>> While there is still no doubt plenty of Unix to Linux migration
>> going on, it seems to have tapered off in recent years (all the
>> low hanging fruit has been picked probably).  Nowadays I see a
>> lot of expansion of existing Linux infrastructure, completely
>> new roll-outs, and even plenty of Windows to Linux conversions.
>
> Even Microsoft-Watch, which is very pro-Microsoft (especially since Mary Jo
> Foley was replaced by Joe Wilcox) moved from Windows to Red Hat about 8 months
> ago. That was ***after*** Joe Wilcox, who clearly hates Linux (and shows it),
> took over.
>
> I can't recall the last time my personal site had a downtime. I actually
> thought about it two hours ago because I realised that I take uptime and
> consistent high performance for granted. The site runs on Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux.

The one problem with things which "just work" is that they're simply not
newsworthy.  The people who like them are the hands-on people, the
operations people, the design engineers who have budgetry requirements
to meet.  This is the story of the success of free software, "it just
works".  You don't need to do anything special, it doesn't have a wierd
diet or other tamagotchi-like requirements.  It just works.  You install
it, and it works.

Free software doesn't have any "Wow".  There be no:
	Wow, another virus, Mum!
	Wow, we're in a botnet, Mum!
	Wow, Vista crashed again, Mum!
	Wow, Vista's slower than XP, Mum!
	Wow, Vista's been deactivated, Mum!
	Wow, Vista SP1's slower than Vista, Mum!
	Wow, Microsoft can't get Vista onto an OLPC, Mum!

Who needs Wow, when you can have software which "just works"?