[News] [OT] Authorities Want "Centralised Control" for the Internet

  • Subject: [News] [OT] Authorities Want "Centralised Control" for the Internet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:34:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ofcom's radio carve-up could cut out mesh

,----[ Quote ]
| Ofcom has published the first of its consultation documents looking at how
| Spectrum Usage Rights (SURs) are going to work in the real world, and the
| future looks bad for mesh networks with their lack of centralised control.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/sur_proposal/

Last week:

AT&T and Other I.S.P.'s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

,----[ Quote ]
| For the last 15 years, Internet service providers have acted - to use
| an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data
| flow uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.
|
| But I.S.P.'s may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.
|
| At a small panel discussion about digital piracy at NBC's booth on the
| Consumer Electronics Show floor, representatives from NBC, Microsoft,
| several digital filtering companies and the telecom giant AT&T said
| discussed whether the time was right to start filtering for
| copyrighted content at the network level.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/index.html

Related:

AT&T admits it censored other bands