[News] $10,000 Linux Server Reviewed, Sun Phasing Out of Datacentres

  • Subject: [News] $10,000 Linux Server Reviewed, Sun Phasing Out of Datacentres
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:57:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Stratus ftServer 4400 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Once the OS boots, however, Linux admins will note a few differences, such as
| the Stratus drivers that are loaded during the initialisation phase, and the
| collection of drivers and support code placed under /opt. I also noticed some
| odd video artefacts on my KVM while working on the ftServer 4400, but only in
| text mode.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/reviews/index.cfm?reviewID=593&pagtype=all&pn=1

Sun Plans To Close Its Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview, Sun's chief technology officer of information technology,
| John Dutra, balked at committing to the 2015 goal, and cautioned that
| Cinque's post was more of a "vision" than a "tactical plan." But Sun's drive
| to reduce its in-house computing hardware is real. In five years, Dutra says,
| more efficient servers and virtualization--the conversion of multiple
| computers into software that can be run on a single machine--will allow Sun
| to do away with five of its eight data centers, reducing both the centers'
| square footage and data consumption by around 50%.
|
| [...]
|
| Still, revamping its internal server systems could save Sun money and create
| less of an environmental footprint. More important, says Carr, Sun's other
| motive may be inspiring an industry shift--one that could mean more high-end
| server sales and reverse a growing trend toward sales of cheaper Windows and
| Linux servers.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2008/01/11/sun-virtualization-data-tech-intel-cx_ag_0111sun.html?partner=yahootix

Recent:

Sun deploys Linux high performance cluster at Kuwait Oil Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) has deployed a Linux-based High Performance Cluster
| from Sun Microsystems to run its reservoir simulation software, increase its
| processing power, and enable the company to take critical business decisions
| faster than ever before.
`----

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_pressreleases&view=detail&pr_id=10633&Itemid=77&ln=en

Related:

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html