[News] Computing Becomes Fun Again with Linux-based Bug, OLPC

  • Subject: [News] Computing Becomes Fun Again with Linux-based Bug, OLPC
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:34:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Geeks Build Gadget With Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| The gadget, which runs on the Linux operating system, is purchased as a blank
| slate. Because it's an open source gadget, programmers can develop
| applications for it that can turn it into an MP3 player or a mobile text
| device, among a variety of other things. So far, a community of programmers
| has developed several applications for the device that can be downloaded from
| the company's Web site.
`----

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/GadgetGuide/story?id=4118258&page=1

What if...

OLPC turns cranky

,----[ Quote ]
| Just kidding, that will never happen, but OLPC should sell these to the
| mainstream market in a buy one give one type programme. They could quickly
| become the next iPlod earphone for the eco set.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/12/olpc-gets-cranky

Adults review children's PC:

One Laptop Per Child Looking for a Friend

,----[ Quote ]
| I know the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) computer - small, portable, green and
| inexpensive - was designed to bring knowledge and Internet access to the
| poorest children of the world. As someone first exposed to computers as an
| Explorer Scout at Mamaroneck High School, typing out punch cards at
| a "computer lab" on a field trip in 1968, I don't qualify as a child or a
| poor person.
`----

http://www.larchmontgazette.com/2008/techtalk/20080110onelaptop.html

Related:

Hack: The Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology Review takes apart Bug Labs' modular open-source hardware system
| and explains how it works.
|
| [...]
|
| Linux Computer
| Most electronic devices, because of their limited memory and processing
| power, must be programmed using languages and techniques that are difficult
| to master. But the Linux computer at the heart of Bug Labs' modular device
| provides tools that let users program applications more easily. The
| technically inclined can program in Java, a widely known language, and make
| their programs available to other users. The device has enough memory to
| store multiple programs, so it can perform many different functions when the
| proper modules are connected.
`----

http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/19873/

Open Source Hardware Gift Guide

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source 3D printers, TV-turn-off devices, iPod chargers, music players,
| wi-fi companions, educational electronic kits, and more! Let's get gifting!
`----

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/open_source_hardware_gift.html

Open source hardware comes out of closet

,----[ Quote ]
| EVER SINCE open-source software created a buzz, people have stroked chins,
| pondered and pontificated about the possibility of open-source hardware – and
| now it’s becoming a reality.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/open-source-hardware-coming

The Future of Hardware is Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Hardware is the future of technology, and all we need to kick off this
| next great revolution in technology is to have the right tools in the right
| place at the right time.  After that, the sky’s the limit!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=315

Perens set to tackle open-source hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2noydh