[News] Two Linux Success Stories in Industry: Asterisk, Wind River

  • Subject: [News] Two Linux Success Stories in Industry: Asterisk, Wind River
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:20:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Growth and Acceptance of Asterisk Driving Open Source Telephony Growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Since its founding in 1999, Digium, has grown to become a primary open source
| alternative to traditional communication providers, with offerings that cost
| as much as 80 percent less than proprietary voice communication platforms.
| Digium makes Asterisk open source telephony software available to the open
| source community under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and uses
| business-class Asterisk to power a broad family of products for small, medium
| and large businesses. The company's product line includes a wide range of
| hardware to enable resellers and customers to design their own voiceVoIP
| systems. This year alone, more than six billion minutes of calls will be made
| using Asterisk.
`----

http://voipservices.tmcnet.com/feature/articles/18131-growth-acceptance-asterisk-driving-open-source-telephony-growth.htm

Wind River with Wind River Linux, Development and Management Suites

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River Linux will include an advanced cross-build system that
| incorporates a structured framework for managing device software components
| as independent “layers.” These layers act as building blocks for developers
| to manage and organize Linux packages; source code or binaries; metadata or
| configuration files; test suites, or even extra files. A new release of Wind
| River Real-Time Core for Linux will also be available. It will include
| support for numerous BSPs, including 64-bit targets across all architectures.
`----

http://www.openpr.com/news/35201/Wind-River-with-Wind-River-Linux-Development-and-Management-Suites.html

Related:

C3PC.com Servers Now Available with Elastix Asterisk and CentOS-based VoIP PBX

,----[ Quote ]
| New Ideas Corp. announced the availability of Elastix, an Asterisk and CentOS
| based VoiP PBX, preloaded on their custom built C3 PBX servers.
`----

http://www.c3pc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=2

Any CIO not using open source "should be fired": a conversation with CIOs

,----[ Quote ]
| Great stuff. Open source is changing the way we think about software, and our
| interactions with it. This is particularly true if you're a CIO.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9815015-16.html

Digium preps Asterisk Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| "We developed our own GUI [which is] similar to Trixbox [distribution],
| but the purpose of AsteriskNow is to provide a distribution built
| around Asterisk technology so people can use it without the GUI," he
| said. "The GUI is the same as the Asterisk Appliance that looks
| like a Linksys router that runs Asterisk and has analogue ports."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;1047335524;fp;2;fpid;1

Linux dominating VoIP devices?

,----[ Quote ]
| Trolltech says its development framework and software stack for mobile
| devices was selected by Skype as the preferred platform for Skype-certified
| VoIP (voice-over-IP) phones. Additionally, the Qtopia framework/stack has
| been used in about 40 VoIP devices, making it the "dominant Linux
| development platform for VoIP/WiFi devices," according to Trolltech.

Digium Takes Best of Open Source Software Award

`----

http://www.voip-news.com/blog/20070918/digium-takes-best-of-open-source-software-award/