Re: [News] A One Laptop Per (American) Child Move in Sight

____/ Thufir on Saturday 12 January 2008 08:36 : \____

> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:04:09 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>

>> I think it'll be rather more popular than Mr Negroponte originally
>> expected, but more importantly, it will start to get some media
>> attention in the US, which will make it rather more difficult for
>> companies like Intel and Microsoft to kill it.
>
> It generally seems to get good press, but then there's a disconnect with
> sales :(
>
> I wonder if it could become a sort of status symbol?  I think affluent
> parents would be pissed to see poor kids get free computers...

The OLPC, destined to be priced at about $95 apiece (mass production effect),
has been too disruptive for at least two companies to remain passive. I fail
to think of an example of a similar product, but one examples outside the
realms of technology that I can think of is the headhunting by some countries
in the west. They tried (and still do sometimes) to exterminate any regime
around the world which does not comply with them.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"