[News] The Anti-Linux FCC Comes Under Congress Investigation

  • Subject: [News] The Anti-Linux FCC Comes Under Congress Investigation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:03:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Congress to probe FCC with red hot questions

,----[ Quote ]
| The FCC—and Chairman Kevin Martin in particular—are in hot water with
| Congress over the way that the Commission is run. While Martin was at CES,
| telling all who would listen that the FCC will investigate Comcast's
| traffic-shaping practices, the House Energy and Commerce Committee announced
| a formal investigation of the FCC. The news couldn't be more welcome to the
| industries that the FCC regulates.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080109-congress-to-probe-fcc.html

Comcast are close to Microsoft. Only a month ago they had some partnership that
is somewhat of an anti-Google alliance (see the link at the very bottom).
Comcast, the FFC, and Microsoft appear to be generally close (again, links at
the bottom).

Quote for the day:

"The core of this trial is consumer choice and the premise is that consumers
ought to make that decision, not Microsoft. Microsoft’s argument that says
Java would have died anyway is a little bit like saying if somebody shoots you
they can defend [themselves] by saying you have cancer."

                                --David Boies, lead trial attorney DOJ

Related:

The Spectrum Swindle

,----[ Quote ]
| This is not a call for a privatization or reformation of the FCC; it is a
| recommendation for its abolition.[20] Along with alternative arbitration
| venues, the current court system could handle any disputes arising from this
| action.[21]
|
| The FCC should not be in the business of gerrymandering the electromagnetic
| spectrum; rather, it should be left to private firms to homestead the
| infinitesimal frequencies and solve any and all problems in courts: just like
| property disputes on parcels of land.
|
| The FCC sells something it neither created nor homesteaded and has
| historically been found incompetent at managing. Worse, it has necessarily
| been partisan in its actions. In addition, the Treasury Department (through
| the FCC) stands to make billions of dollars for something they never made,
| never homesteaded, and have shown gross incompetence at managing. And yet, in
| January, they will both make out like bandits.
`----

http://www.mises.org/story/2815

Is FCC destroying the open Internet?

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact of a shared monopoly is, in many places, just that — a fact. When
| carriers are given an exclusive right to provide service on lines they “own,”
| the public network-of-networks becomes merely a private network.
|
| Such monopolies, whether public or private, provide enormous temptation for
| mischief. No matter how good the motives of those who create such temptation,
| it follows as night does day that others with less pure motives will follow
| them.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1737

FCC ignores more than 100 years of wisdom

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1883 French cryptographer Auguste Kerckhoffs published a set of six
| design principles for military encryption systems. The second of these
| principles is generally known today under the observation that security
| through obscurity is not security. The Federal Communications Commission
| (FCC) seems not to have read the history books or to be aware of how its
|  sister federal agencies develop security standards....
`----

http://www.infoworld.nl/idgns/bericht.phtml?id=002570DE00740E1800257313005EC092

The FCC, FOSS, and software radios: a mixed bag

,----[ Quote ]
| After studying the new rules -- published in the Federal Register last month
| and taking effect today -- the SFLC concluded that the laws are not
| FOSS-restrictive because they "apply to hardware manufacturers who distribute
| SDR devices, regardless if they use FOSS in them or not." And the Center says
| that since the rules specifically mention the GNU/Linux operating system, the
| FCC is actually acknowledging the importance of open source.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/116769

Is The FCC Blocking Wireless Competition?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the nationwide expansion of fiber-optic wiring and digital delivery at
| the turn of the century, the federal government reclaimed and is still
| reclaiming large amounts of spectrum.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/2007/09/07/is-the-fcc-blocking-wireless-competition

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent
               ^^^^^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible
                     ^^^^^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

Comcast reported to FCC
^^^^^^^             ^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| P2P throttling breaks FCC 'net neutrality' policy
|
| [...]
|
| Among the consumer groups who have approached the FCC are the Consumer
| Federation of America, the Consumers Union, the Media Access Project and
| professors at the Internet practices of the Yale, Harvard and Stanford law
| schools.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/comcast-reported-fcc

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

The FCC turns a blind eye to Comcast just like like the DoJ, which apparently
has Microsoft insiders, ignores Microsoft crimes and refused to listen the the
States' complaints.