[News] Toshiba Turning Away from x86 to Cells?

  • Subject: [News] Toshiba Turning Away from x86 to Cells?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:48:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Crave TV: Toshiba Spurs Engine puts PS3 Cell chip in a laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever wondered what would happen if you put the PlayStation 3's Cell processor
| into a laptop? Us too, and now we know the answer: you get the Toshiba Spurs
| Engine, a system that turns a normal laptop into a motion-sensing, video
| indexing, face morphing, standard-def to hi-def converting super machine.
`----

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/video/0,139101587,49295004,00.htm

UNIX and Linux support Cell processors. Windows does not, AFAIK. Another Linux
laptop in the making maybe?

Quote for the day:

"I have been shown what you produced and it doesn’t make any sense to be. It’s
gibberish."

                --Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson [about Microsoft 'cooperation']

Related:

Terra Soft Carries the Torch for Cell and Power Platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Since launching Yellow Dog Linux for the PLAYSTATION3 (PS3) last year, Terra
| Soft has been busy expanding its presence in the Cell processor ecosystem.
`----

http://www.hpcwire.com/hpc/1761435.html

Open Source Programmers, Developers to Hold First Power Powwow

,----[ Quote ]
| Staats will present one of several dozen technical conferences. He will
| discuss clustering PS3s. Terra Soft Solutions has constructed a growing Cell
| cluster from PlayStation 3 appliances. This lightweight, low-cost cluster
| solution offers a balance of limitations and performance using Yellow Dog
| Linux and Y-HPC.

PS3 Real-time Ray-tracing

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM Interactive Ray-tracer (iRT) using three Sony Playstation3s (PS3)
| to render a model that is 75x more complex then those used in
| today's games.
`----

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/NewsCom-33982.aspx

What Are You Going To Do With Your FLOPS?

,----[ Quote ]
| It is now possible to buy a system capable of 15 Giga Floating Point
| Operations Per Second (GFLOPS) for about $750. That works out to $50/GFLOPS.
| If you are doubting this number, price out a minimal Intel Core 2 Duo (E6550)
| system with 1GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive, DVD, and load Linux on it.
| Then run the HPL benchmark using the Goto libraries. You should see at least
| 15 GFLOPS for your investment, an astounding amount of power for so little
| cash.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/launchpad/business-class-hpc/main/4088

Analysts predict 80gb PS3 pricedrop

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony dropped the price of the 60GB PlayStation 3 to $499 in the hope that it
| would get rid of what it had in its store room. The 60 GB machine has since
| been axed.

Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html