Re: Roy uses his psychic powers again (was Re: [News] Apple Wanted Linux for the iPhone, But Was Too 'Religious' About It)

Appil Corporation Asstroturfer Tim Smith wrote on behalf of Appil
Corporation:

> In article <1476009.382pMtDLz1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>  Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A Linux-powered iPhone
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The most interesting part on Wired magazine's revelation was during
>> | iPhoneâ??s
>> | software development. On a very tight deadline to finish the iPhone
>> | right on
>> | time, Apple software engineers looked carefully at Linux, since it had
>> |       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> | already been rewritten for use on mobile phones. But, Linux on iPhone
>> | was denied by Steve Jobs for the reason that he do not want to utilize
>> | someone

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> | elseâ??s software. Just imagine the endless possibilities had Steve
>> | agreed. It ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> | would have been a big break for Linux, and iPhone could have been a
>> | much more
>> | powerful and smarter mobile device. It would have been a jaw-dropping
>> | combination of beauty and brains.
>> |
>> | Since Linux powered iPhone is now far from reality, I have here some
>> | photos of make-believe iPhone running with a GNOME desktop and with a
>> | Firefox web browser.
>> `----
>>
>> http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/linux-powered-iphone.html
>>
>> And they say Linux users are too 'religious' to choose Windows and Macs.
>> Microsoft, unlike Apple, uses a lot of Linux in-house (because it's too
>> good and difficult to avoid).
>
> Where does the article (or the original that your link is based on) say
> it was religious?  Did you read Steve's mind to figure that out?

Dumbo, don't you know what religion is?

> In particular, how do you know he wasn't concerned with legal issues?

And how do you know this?

> There has been some question as to whether Linux phones are actually
> legal under GPL, at least on carriers that lock down the phones against
> unauthorized modifications to the software.

Thats not GPL issue - its a carrier issue.

>  Apple used non-Apple
> firmware in many iPods, so they are not adverse to going outside the
> company if there is a good reason.

Utterly FALSE! They got all religious about Linux.

> The best case scenario for someone building a Linux-based phone that
> isn't going to be fully open is that they have to spend extra effort
> keeping the GPL stuff separate from the non-GPL stuff (and they are
> going to be bad-mouthed for "Tivoization").  And that's the best case.
> Worst case is that some external force (the carrier their phone is for,
> or worse, a government regulatory agency) subjects them to requirements
> incompatible with GPL, and then they are screwed.

Utter bwallocks!
The best thing is to make something like TrollTech Greephone - 100% open
as has been done; and not just by them but by many others,
that are now gathering hoards of open source developers.

The worst thing is not allow open source developers near it and
make it less competitve and flat on features.
It is as cut and dry as that.