Re: [News] Rumours: NVIDIA to Follow AMD's Open Source Footsteps!

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:51:04 +0000
<12376695.ErFEzvQvGZ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> NVIDIA Plotting Open-Source Strategy?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to an AIB partner, NVIDIA is planning an open-source counterattack
> | against ATI/AMD.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI3NQ
>
> Woohoo! (if true)

More like:  "What took you guys so FREAKING DAMN LONG!? :-P" ;-)

> Related:
>
> Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | AMD?s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
> | news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427
>

> NVIDIA: Got Specifications?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | This past week AMD raised the Linux graphics bar by not only announcing their
> | new fglrx graphics driver, which delivers Radeon HD 2000 support, immense
> | performance improvements, and AIGLX, but it was accompanied by an
> | announcement that they will be delivering specifications to the X.Org
> | development community. These two announcements came after intense work
> | internally at AMD and over a long period of time, but literally overnight it
> | changed the minds of many Linux users on how they judge this company with its
> | once notorious binary blob. AMD has really set a precedence for showing that
> | a semiconductor company once criticized to no end with their proprietary
> | software can update their views to assist and embrace the open-source Linux
> | community while remaining competitive as a company in a triopoloy market.
> | They have also thus reaffirmed that Linux is a viable desktop operating
> | system. But the ball has now landed in NVIDIA's court. NVIDIA can either play
> | ball by pushing forward with a similar effort, and then all of the big three
> | GPU manufacturers would be cradling an open-source strategy, or they may find
> | themselves in trouble down the road.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=831&num=1
>

> NVIDIA 2007 Year In Review
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In our 2006 NVIDIA AYiR we had warned that 2007 would likely be the hardest
> | year yet for NVIDIA on the Linux front and this has certainly panned out to
> | be true. In addition to their initial GeForce 8 problems, they are now facing
> | serious competition from ATI/AMD and their new Linux driver and new
> | open-source strategy with open specifications. The developers behind the
> | Nouveau driver are making steady progress and are working on an open-source
> | Gallium3D component for NVIDIA graphics cards. Next year will be a critical
> | time for NVIDIA on the Linux front as they determine how to respond to this
> | increased competition and likely reaching the 200.xx Linux driver series. How
> | they will respond, however, right now is anyone's guess.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=951&num=1

Ouch...but hopefully this will keep them on their toes
and everyone gets a better product.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's there and it works.
Windows.  It's there, but does it work?