[News] Sun Microsystems Bets on India for Open Source Growth?

  • Subject: [News] Sun Microsystems Bets on India for Open Source Growth?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:55:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Will India Become the New Vanguard of the Open Source Movement?

,----[ Quote ]
| Simon Phipps, chief open source officer at Sun, notes, however, that "[India]
| is where so much innovation is happening." The award is meant to catalyze
| projects in six Sun-created environments -- OpenSolaris, GlassFish, NetBeans,
| OpenJDK, OpenOffice and OpenSparc. While the competition is not limited to
| open-source programmers in India, Phipps said he was announcing the award in
| India "because that's where I expect the greatest open source community
| growth to come from in the near future."
`----

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/india/article.cfm?articleid=4250

Related and recent:

Sun deploys Linux high performance cluster at Kuwait Oil Company

,----[ Quote ]
| Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) has deployed a Linux-based High Performance Cluster
| from Sun Microsystems to run its reservoir simulation software, increase its
| processing power, and enable the company to take critical business decisions
| faster than ever before.
`----

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index.php?option=com_pressreleases&view=detail&pr_id=10633&Itemid=77&ln=en

Related:

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html