[News] The Price of Security = The Price of Maths Monopolies (Software Patents)

  • Subject: [News] The Price of Security = The Price of Maths Monopolies (Software Patents)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:32:33 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Patently nonsense: smartphones, scanners and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest patent idiocies could put phone prices up and increase your
| security bill. And only one of the cases would be fixed by my own theory of
| patents (if you don’t yourself manufacture the item or use the process
| protected by a patent, I think you shouldn’t be able to benefit from the
| patent by extorting money from companies that do go to the effort of actually
| making something).
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/blogs/maryb/2008/01/29/patently-nonsense-smartphones-scanners-and-open-source/

What is this? The middle ages? I bet Ballmer is barfing out that porridge all
over himself laughing...

FreeRADIUS and Linux Secure Your WLAN

,----[ Quote ]
| The RADIUS (Remote Authentication Dial-In User Service) protocol has long
| been a standard authentication, authorization and accounting protocol for
| Internet service providers and businesses.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsecur/article.php/3555556

Yesterday:

Barracuda Networks Asks For Help Finding Prior Art to Defend ClamAV - Updated
3Xs

,----[ Quote ]
| We have another Pick Your Brain request. This one comes from Barracuda
| Networks, the email and web security appliances company, but it's about an
| attack on ClamAV, the Open Source antivirus product.

Software patent case defendant seeks support of FOSS community

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/125807