[News] Two New Reviews of MiniMe (PCLinuxOS 2008)

  • Subject: [News] Two New Reviews of MiniMe (PCLinuxOS 2008)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:22:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tweak PCLinuxOS 2008 Minime into Full blown distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Minime is a boon for people like me, who do not want the overhead of
| software like CUPS, bluetooth etc, but still want the user friendly interface
| of PCLOS.
| PCLOS Control Center is a one stop shop for all system configurations, it
| mimics Mandrake Control Center and is as intuitive as the famous YAST from
| OpenSUSE. This is where we can make system wide changes, such as enabling or
| disabling system services, add or remove users to the system, configure the
| firewall, configure hardware, etc.
| PCLOS promises to be radically simple and Minime gives a glimpse of that,
| surely we can expect a great distro in form of PCLinuxOS 2008.
| What I miss in Minime is KDE4 packages, which I hope to find when PCLOS 2008
| is released.
`----

http://www.lazytechguy.com/2008/01/tweak-pclinuxos-2008-minime-into-full.html

MiniMe, a Bite of PCLinuxOS 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| MiniMe as the name implies, is a stripped-down version of PCLinuxOS. It
| serves as a foretaste of what has yet to come since the development of
| PCLinuxOS 2008 is still underway. Nevertheless, MiniMe is pretty much
| functional and can be installed and used as a complete desktop operating
| system.
|
| [...]
|

| MiniMe is definitely worth a try. The installation is outstanding, its
| performance is great, and its ease-of-use is unbelievable. No wonder the
| popularity of PCLOS keeps on strengthening and its users and community
| members are steadily growing.
|
| MiniMe is just an appetizer, but I’m already half-full. I can’t wait for the
| complete version of PCLinuxOS 2008 to come out.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/01/minime-bite-of-pclinuxos-2008.html

Recent:

PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

,----[ Quote ]
| The tendency of Linux distributions to get bigger and pack more and more into
| their liveCD/DVDs (e.g., Sabayon, MIB Games Mandriva remaster) while
| convenient can slow your system down considerably; it’s nice to see that some
| see the need for a more bare bones effort that allows you to pick and choose
| for your particular needs.
| Well worth the download and test drive; see if you can resist making your
| system a dual boot with this very zippy and configurable effort from TexStar
| and company and all the fine developers at PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://fareast.linuxdiary.com/2008/01/12/pclinuxos-2008-minime/

Related:

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME Preview !

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that
| runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is decompressed on the fly,
| allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE
| desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In
| addition to the Live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive
| with an easy-to-use Live CD Installer. Additional applications can be added
| or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via
| Synaptic Package Manager.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/pclinuxos-2008-minime-preview/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME