[News] [Rival] MSBBC Advocates DRM and RIAA Again?

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] MSBBC Advocates DRM and RIAA Again?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:26:57 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Aboriginal archive offers new DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| A new method of digital rights management (DRM) which relies on a user's
| profile has been pioneered by Aboriginal Australians.

Far-fetched -- maybe. Mind the fact that Microsoft wins if DRM is used (see
links below), so any publicity favourable to DRM is good to Microsoft, a BBC
partner. What about other Microsoft partners like National Archives and the
British Library? Does archival need an "I don't trust you" closed-source
encryption? Recipe for a preservation disaster?

Also in the BBC, U2 advocates a "cut the air supply, then ask questions"
approach:

2 manager 'wants end to piracy'

,----[ Quote ]
| The manager of rock band U2 has urged internet service providers (ISPs) to
| help end illegal music downloads, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
|
| Paul McGuinness called for policies on disconnecting those who acquired
| tracks illegally, using a speech in France to urge governments to take
action.

British Library calls for digital copyright action

,----[ Quote ]
| In a manifesto released on Monday at the Labor Party Conference
| in Manchester, the United Kingdom's national library warned that the
| country's traditional copyright law needs to be extended to fully
| recognize digital content.
|
| "Unless there is a serious updating of copyright law to recognize
| the changing technological environment, the law becomes an ass,"
| Lynne Brindley, chief executive of the British Library, told ZDNet
| UK.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6119043.html

IFPI publishes Digital Music Report 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| ISP cooperation, via systematic disconnection of infringers and the use of
| filtering technologies, is the most effective way copyright theft can be
| controlled. Independent estimates say up to 80 per cent of ISP traffic
| comprises distribution of copyright-infringing files.
`----

http://www.ifpi.org/content/section_resources/dmr2008.html

Copyright Extensions and ISP Filtering: Breaking EU Culture, One Amendment at a
Time

,----[ Quote ]
| As you may recall, the European Parliament's forthcoming report on the
| Cultural Industries has become the latest target of lobbying by the recording
| industry. First, they attempted to insert language that advocated that
| European ISPs filter and block their own users on the basis of suspected
| infringement. As we explained to European Members of Parliament, such
| policies would not only harm the privacy and security of Net users - they
| would not even work to combat infringement. Like DRM, everyone would lose,
| including the music industry and artists that IFPI seeks to protect.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/01/copyright-extensions-and-isp-filtering-breaking-eu-culture-one-amendment-time
http://tinyurl.com/2sk3ux

AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/att-and-other-isps-may-be-getting-ready-to-filter/