[News] Almost 2 Million Italians Downloaded OpenOffice Last Year, Added to School Curriculum?

  • Subject: [News] Almost 2 Million Italians Downloaded OpenOffice Last Year, Added to School Curriculum?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 16:22:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Just a coincidence?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Davide Dozza, Chairman of Associazione PLIO: "The numbers are
| exactly the same. If it's just a coincidence, it's a very strange one.
| Downloads of the Italian version of OpenOffice.org were 800.000 in 2006 and
| 1.800.000 in 2007: the difference is exactly in the million of Italians
| that - according to Microsoft - have downloaded the trial version of Office
| 2007. We think that these users have decided to switch to OpenOffice.org as
| soon as they have realized that the effort to get used to the new ribbon
| interface is higher than the effort to migrate to the open source suite. In
| 2007, the majority of information requests has been about the compatibility
| with Windows Vista, and the trend stays unchanged in 2008".
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/01/just-coincidence.html

'We are not competing but contributing'

,----[ Quote ]
| A well-acknowledged global trend is that most school children and first-time
| computer users get their basic computer lesson by learning to use Microsoft
| Office and Windows Operating System.
|
| This raises the hackles of many Open Source advocates who rue the fact that
| most schools and governments do not promote the use of Open Source software
| such as Sun Microsystems-sponsored OpenOffice. While Microsoft Office enjoys
| over 90 per cent of the market, OpenOffice.org and StarOffice are slowly
| making inroads into enterprises, government and education sectors.
| Localization efforts by contributors are enabling OpenOffice to reach more
| countries in multiple languages. Jim Parkinson, vice president, Collaborative
| Engineering, Sun Microsystems spoke to Priya Padmanabhan of CyberMedia News
| OpenOffice and Sun's commitment to promote developer efforts on the program.
`----

http://www.chennaionline.com/technology/details.aspx?sectid=itnews&linkid=%2FNews%2FNews-Reports%2F%25e2%2580%2598We-are-not-competing-but-contributing%25e2%2580%2599%2F28108103133%2F0%2F

Tipping point already behind...

Related:

Sun Adds New Twinkle to StarOffice, OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]