Re: [News] Another Big Win for Linux in Production Environments

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>
>>> BBC moves Linux into TV production
> [...]
>> Shhh, don't tell Ashley, or Eric...  they'll be off to Redmond in a
>> flash with another bag of £millions of licence-fee cash...
>
> Yes, note how it took a third-party to report this, rather than the
> MSBBC discussing it on their own site. They have plenty of room for
> their new columnist, Bill Gates, to promote Microsoft though.

Indeed.  I wonder how much they're paying Mr Gates to do this?  Perhaps
a nice freedom of information request could dig that out.  The BBC are
presently trying to hide the vast salaries they've started paying their
presenters since the Governors were removed.

> Now that they're transcoding with ffmpeg on Linux, surely they won't
> need all that Windows Media garbage any more, and they can just produce
> Dirac files for the iPlayer service. After all, with the streaming Flash
> component they've been forced to provide, which is not DRM encumbered,
> this proves that such content "protection" is not quite the mandatory
> requirement they originally claimed.

It never was, though, if you consider that they've always broadcast
en-clair anyway.

> I never did get a response to my complaint about them misrepresenting
> the Asus Eee PC as an "XP machine", BTW.

I complained recently that they'd had pictures of OLPC without
mentioning that it ran Linux.  The BBC doesn't mention Linux much at
all, a google of "bbc olpc linux" came up with multiple non-BBC links,
but at the bottom, there was this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6962035.stm