Re: First-person Shooters Overview for Linux Gamers

On Jan 27, 12:59 pm, Moshe Goldfarb <brick.n.st...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:49:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> > Windows games can run on Linux too, as proven below. Gaming is not a serious
> > barrier to adoption.

> That has to be the funniest statement from a Linux kook I have heard in a
> long time.

It's probably not entirely accurate.  Several game vendors, such as
Electronic Arts and Activision have created Linux engines which allow
games written to run on their Windows engine to run on the Linux
engine.

Most games are written using a virtual machine, similar to Java, which
is used as a wrapper so that the same software can be run on Windows,
PS2 or PS3, XBox, and Nindendo, and Linux.

Obviously, the Microsoft games such as Halo II will not run on Linux
in native mode.  Some might run under a virtual machine such as
VMWare.

Linux also has other game machine emulators, some of which might
appeal to nostalgia buffs.  They have support for Atari 2600, Play
Station (1), Nintendo, and PS/2.

And if you are really into ancient history, there are even old BSD
character based cames like adventure, hack.

Rex