Re: [News] [Rival] Vista a Disaster for Microsoft, the Future is GNU/Linux

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:05:28 +0000, [H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Sinister Midget spake thusly:
>
>> Customer: No, I mean Windows or something else.
>> Sales Droid: Windows /what/ or something else?
>
> Maybe the situation is different in the land of cheeseburgers, but over
> here even ordinary (read: completely non-techie) people know what Linux
> is. Two of my Mother's friends, for example, who are both in their late
> fifties (one's a housewife, and the other's a farmer), specifically
> asked Tesco for this:
>
> http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-3224.aspx (eSys Linux PC, £139.93).
>
> Linux PCs being sold in supermarkets (and indeed Britain's biggest
> retailer) is about as mainstream as it gets. Erik's FUD may have washed
> a few years ago, but not any more ... certainly not over here.

Perhaps you should pay closer attention to the thread.

I was responding to a claim about why PC's aren't sold with blank hard
drives and then allowing the customer to choose which OS they want
installed on it.

I think my response was pretty accurate as to how a customer would react to
this in the commercial PC sector.

Your response, however, indicates you didn't bother to even read what was
written.