[News] Dell Works on Improving GNU/Linux Hardware Choice

  • Subject: [News] Dell Works on Improving GNU/Linux Hardware Choice
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:44:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Upstreaming hardware data - MonitorsDB

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell, over the years, has by my count sold 197 different monitor types, and
| releases several more each month.  We'd like to see those monitors appear in
| the drop-down list of your favorite Linux monitor configuration tools.
| However, each Linux distribution has had their own private copy of this list,
| meaning there's a good bit of work to keep every distribution updated
| whenever a new monitor is released.
|
| [...]
|
| I helped get the hwdata package moved out, into its own upstream project.
| From here, the Fedora, RHEL, and other distributions, and their packages, can
| pull the latest MonitorsDB file.
`----

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/01/21/41886.aspx

"I’d be glad to help tilt lotus into into the death spiral. I could do it
Friday afternoon but not Saturday. I could do it pretty much any time the
following week."

                --Brad Silverberg, Microsoft

Related:

Killer lasers menace Linux Thinkpads

| The first thing is by far the most significant, a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and R61
| laptop. They are not new, but the fact that the Linux models, all running
| Suse 10.1, will be out next week is huge news. Finally, you can get a
| corporate laptop with no downsides, and it doesn't have the Vista malware
| shoved down your throat. Way to go Lenovo.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/01/10/killer-lasers-menace-linux

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
| more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just like to
| thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks

Rex Ballards's Windows Vista Report (Death of Sales, by the Numbers):

,----[ Quote ]
| Days    Millions        Average/day             Rate/Day
| 30      20              670k                    670k
| 100     40              400k                    290k
| 180     60              330k                    250k
| 300     88              290k                    230k
| 375     100             270k                    160k
`----

Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista -- however,
| the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which have bought
| Vista licences are yet to deploy the software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

Will Windows Vista Succeed In 2008? Don't Count On It

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista has certainly been slow out of the gate. Sure, Microsoft is putting the
| operating system on newly shipped systems, but Vista sales didn’t benefit
| from the upgrade surge that previous OSes got upon release. A year after it
| began shipping, less than one percent of corporate desktops are running
| Vista.
| ^^^^^
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/will_windows_vi.html

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579