Re: [News] World's Fastest Patent Troll Terrifies the Industry

spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> For pity's sake, will *someone* stop the USPTO?  A more incompetent
>> bunch I have never heard of.  How could /anyone/ let a patent like that
>> through the system?
>
> Bribery?

Could be.  It seems so insane that I can't imagine anyone with half a
brain spotting that this claim is worthless.

>> It's just ludicruous.
>
>> Worse, this doesn't describe a smartphone alone, it describes every
>> laptop, media player, web tablet, and almost anything else.
>
> Indeed... And you think when they get into court they won't be countersued
> into non-existence by samsung, apple, HP, nokia and all the rest they sued?
> They don't have a leg to stand on, prior art exists years before they filed
> their patent and they've launched suits against almost a dozen multibillion
> dollar communication companies.
>
> This is even stupider than SCO at their worst. SCO only launched suits
> initially against IBM. This lot thought "Let's see if we can score a
> hattrick!"

It's as daft as RIM getting sued for "email on wireless" when telco
operators had been doing the same thing over satellite and radio links
for years, as had amateur radio operators, or pretty much anyone with a
wifi link, although they came much later.

Surely someone can see that this system is so broken it's beyond fixing?