[News] KDE Team Celebrates Friendships, New Review

  • Subject: [News] KDE Team Celebrates Friendships, New Review
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:34:10 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
It’s all about community

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone knows that the obvious difference between proprietary software and
| free software is the licensing model. What few people know is that free
| software’s biggest strength is the people that are drawn together to make up
| a community that is incredibly powerful. I saw this power first-hand in
| Mountain, CA, USA at the KDE 4.0 release event. If you use Gnome, XFCE, or
| even Microsoft Windows, put your bias aside. This is about the community of
| free software, and to a lesser extent, some of the individuals that make free
| software what it is - not just KDE.
`----

http://rackit.gartnerwebdev.com/2008/01/25/its-all-about-community/

KDE 4.0 – Review

,----[ Quote ]
| It also incorporate new Oxygen Visual Style, the Solid hardware layer, the
| Phonon multimedia system, Strigi indexing system and the Kross scripting
| framework. The desktop is encompassed with the Konqueror web browser. The
| basic desktop set seems to be complete which includes the Okular document
| reader, The Dolphin file manager and the System Settings control center. The
| Window manager KWin supports sophisticated graphical effects to ease
| interaction with your windows.
`----

http://www.polzer-sw.com/kde-40-review

Related:

KOffice's stance against OOXML more practical than political, developer says

,----[ Quote ]
| In the recent accusations that the GNOME Foundation has been supporting
| Microsoft's OOXML format at the expense of ODF, KDE has been presented as a
| counter-example. Based on a KDE News article, Richard Stallman suggested
| that "major KDE developers" had announced "their rejection of OOXML" and
| urged  GNOME to do the same. More recently, a widely linked story on ITWire
| used the same article to declare that KDE has taken a "principled stand"
| against OOXML. However, if you go the source, the story is more nuanced than
| these claims suggest.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123597

KDE 4: like a dream on 256Mb/1Ghz/Intel!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3137