[News] Linux Hosting: New Features and New Deployments

  • Subject: [News] Linux Hosting: New Features and New Deployments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:41:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Web Host A2 Hosting Offers New VPS Packages

,----[ Quote ]
| Powered by OpenVZ, A2 Hosting’s VPS hosting ensures “all allocated hosting
| space will always be readily available”. The packages offer the HyperVM
| Control Panel alongside a choice of Linux operating systems from a number of
| OS templates.
`----

http://hostsearch.com/news/a2_hosting_inc_news_6823.asp

StartSSL™ OpenID Provider

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, every subscriber at StartSSL™ receives automatically a default OpenID
| identifier and an easy way to change the default nick name. It’s very easy to
| use and I must admit that since I started using my own identifier,
| registering and logging in at forums and blogs hasn’t been so easy and fun
| for a long time.
`----

https://blog.startcom.org/?p=65

Some Linux here as well:

Nigeria: HP Introduces Enhanced Integrity Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Determined to help customers minimise costs through enhanced automation and
| improved energy efficiency, HP has upgraded its Integrity Server line-up with
| the newest processor and software.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200801240254.html

Lots of hosting news related to Linux. It's not really possible to count
something like CentOS deployments, or even Debian. Some shills like IDC and
Gartner will use Microsoft's raw figures and definitions to paint a deceiving
picture -- a lie!

Related:

The Linux Vs. Windows Hosting Dilemma

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Linux was designed to be used by multiple concurrent users while Windows
| is based on a single user model. Even the most sophisticated Windows models
| evolved from the single user prototype.
|
| [...]
|
| 50. Even Google runs on Linux!
`----

http://web-hosting.tophostingcenter.com/?p=55

ServerPronto Survey Reveals Most Popular Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| In an internal study of its dedicated hosting customers, ServerPronto is
| shedding new light on operating system favorites. According to company data,
| ServerPronto customers rely on Fedora, Debian, Red Hat 9, Windows, FreeBSD,
| CentOS and Gentoo more than all other options on the market. Drilling down a
| little deeper, the top operating systems ServerPronto customers use break out
| like this:
|
| Fedora 21% Debian 17% Red Hat 15% Windows 13% FreeBSD 9% CentOS 7% Gentoo 7%
`----

http://usstock.jrj.com.cn/news/2007-10-29/000002849216.html

Linux versus Windows: OS impact on uptime and speed

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was ahead of Windows every week by more than 0.5%. For
| your understanding 0.5% downtime means 50 minutes per week, or
| 216 minutes or 3 hours 36 minutes per month.
`----

http://blog.mon.itor.us/?p=286

Shining a LAMP on Web 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Uptime monitoring firm Pingdom has done a small survey of some of the
| most popular Web 2.0 sites on the Internet to see what is running under
| the hood that keeps the web sites going.
|
| The results are a fairly conclusive vote of confidence in the LAMP
| stack: six out of the seven businesses queried are running Linux and
| MySQL, five are using Apache, and five are using PHP.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/shining_a_lamp.html

Linux-Based Website Beats Windows-Based Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux websites have better uptime and load faster than Windows-based
| websites. Research by WatchMouse, a website monitoring company, also
| shows that web server platform Apache outperforms the Microsoft IIS
| platform. Therefore, having a Linux website and an Apache web server
| platform offers the best choice for professional web pages.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070620/20070620005279.html?.v=1

Apache is the big chief in the world of web servers

,----[ Quote ]
| What's it for?
|
| Serving web content and files sharing. Apache is an essential part
| of the Lamp (Linux, Apache, MySQL/PostgreSQL, Perl/PHP/Python)
| development stack.
|
| [...]
|
| What systems does it run on?
|
| Originally developed with Unix/Linux in mind, support for Windows
| and other operating systems was improved with Apache 2 in 2002 now
| around 30 are supported, including mainframe operating systems.A
| pache is the default web server in Mac OS X and Novell Netware 6.5.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/01/11/221090/apache-is-the-big-chief-in-the-world-of-web-servers.htm

RIAA Web Site Moved To Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The RIAA has moved their main Web site www.riaa.com from IIS on
| Win2003 to Apache 2.2.3 on Red Hat.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/06/17/1910247&from=rss

Wales riding the cost train toward zero

,----[ Quote ]
| Where is the money to fund this going to come from? "We're going
| to ask people to link back to our ad support sites like Wikia."
| That didn't sound like a lot of money to me. "We're pretty loosey
| goosey about it."
|
| How can a for-profit business be "a little loosey-goosey" about
| anything? Here is how.
|
| "The basic concept here is given the ongoing dramatic dop in the
| price of bandwidth and hardware, they cost very little. I looked
| at the bandwidth bill for Wikipedia, for instance, and it is
| actually substantially lower in the last year than the year before,
| despite traffic growing by a factor of 4.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=899

Why Linux Hosting is Gaining More Presence Than Windows Hosting?

,----[ Quote ]
| (Key points)
|
| The menace of viruses
|
| Stable and Robust