[News] [Rival] Bill Gates Becomes Orwell's Worst Nightmare (Offline Spyware Salesman)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Bill Gates Becomes Orwell's Worst Nightmare (Offline Spyware Salesman)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 16:13:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft ponders offline profiling of Web users

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. is developing a method of using personal data such as
| credit-card information to target Internet users with advertising once they
| connect to the Web, according to a patent application filed by the company.
|
| In an application disclosed earlier this month, a Microsoft team including
| Chairman Bill Gates presents a method of collecting information about
| users' "cell phones, geolocation systems, credit-card information" and other
| data sources to select and display "targeted advertising."
|
| [...]
|
| Gates is listed as an inventor on the patent application, alongside members
| of various Microsoft research units.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-ponders-offline-profiling-web/story.aspx?guid=%7BF0D7FACF%2D0072%2D43C6%2DB341%2DB934D7E84635%7D&siteid=yhoof

Related:

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista—Microsoft’s latest operating system—may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we
| reported earlier this week, can be delivered over the Internet and implanted
| in a suspect's computer remotely.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9747666-7.html

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines — at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors.
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20070823

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html