[News] OLPC Project is Optimistic About the Future

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Project is Optimistic About the Future
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:07:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OLPC looks ahead with optimism

,----[ Quote ]
| What's next on OLPC's horizon? "There is a long ways to go in terms of
| incremental improvements to the software platform, but the next big thing is
| to step up the level of energy around supporting learning in the field --
| building a learning community that is analogous to the free and open source
| software community.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/125252

Days ago:

OLPC in Ethiopia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://olpc.tv/2008/01/20/olpc-in-ethiopia-2/

| Q: Weren’t you working with Intel to put a low-power Intel chip into the XO?
|
| MLJ: Yes. It’s very simple; Intel people want to sell Intel chips. I felt
| that the best way to work with them was to get some Intel silicon into the
| XO, which we were doing. The laptop we were making with them would have been
| more expensive and more power-hungry, and it would have taken at least six
| months longer to produce. But that was not the real reason [for the split].
| The cost difference would have been less than 20 percent, and the power
| difference would have been maybe a watt or two, and we might have been able
| to pull a rabbit out of the hat and ship for mass production by the summer….
| [The problem was] on the sales and marketing side. I know how Intel is. I
| worked there. They are a very aggressive company and a very successful
| company. People describe them affectionately as the 800-pound gorilla of
| semiconductors, and that is what they are.
`----

http://www.xconomy.com/2008/01/15/pixel-qi-out-to-bring-principles-of-inexpensive-laptop-design-to-consumer-market-former-one-laptop-cto-mary-lou-jepsen-on-her-new-startup/
http://tinyurl.com/38wpbk

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Africa's digital poster child [Intel's illegal dumping]

,----[ Quote ]