[News] Asay on Novell's Sleep with the Enemy, New Ballnux Screenshots Available

  • Subject: [News] Asay on Novell's Sleep with the Enemy, New Ballnux Screenshots Available
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:37:13 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The bizarre relationship that is Novell + Microsoft

| And how! Here's just a taste:
|
|     In an email dated October 3, 199, however, Bill Gates ordered his top
|     executives to retract the documentation of the browsing extensions, but
|     only until Microsoft's own developers of the Office suite of applications
|     had sufficient time to work with the hidden extensions to build an
|     insurmountable advantage over competitors such as WordPerfect. Gates
|     further explained that without this advantage, Office would not compete
|     with the major ISVs.
|
| This is just the sort of company that I'd want to bet my Linux business upon.
| Wouldn't you?
|
| Point well taken that it's a heterogeneous world that requires odd pairings
| of companies. But given Novell's understanding of just how bad Microsoft can
| be, is a partnership the best way to reward that behavior?
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9855416-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1001_3-0-10

TCS :: openSUSE 11.0 Alpha 1 [Screenshots]

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=openSUSE%2011.0%20Alpha%201

OpenSuSE 11.0 Installer Gets A Face-Lift

| Last week OpenSuSE 11.0 Alpha 1 was released, and in addition to including
| KDE 4.0, PulseAudio integration, and various package updates, Alpha 1
| features improvements to the OpenSuSE installer. This installer uses Qt4 and
| is much improved, which warranted us taking a closer look.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=974&num=1

Related:

Novell's Suit Against Microsoft Cites Decline of WordPerfect

,----[ Quote ]
| WordPerfect, a once-popular software program, is making something of a
| comeback -- this time as Exhibit A in Novell Inc.'s multibillion-dollar
| antitrust suit against Microsoft Corp.
|
| The lawsuit is a byproduct of the U.S. government's landmark case against
| Microsoft that was settled more than six years ago after the world's biggest
| software maker was declared an illegal monopolist. A handful of other private
| suits against Microsoft still await resolution, and no claim is bigger than
| Novell's.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=azE3HU7AoBu4&refer=news

Time for Novell to Settle the SCOre