Re: [News] Linux-hostile MSBBC Steps Back, Among Worst in the World Openness-wise

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 22 January 2008 20:31 : \____

>> Status Quo: Can't watch the news in Linux
>
> WorksForMe®:
>
> http://media.slated.org/albums/userpics/bbc-news.png
>
> mplayerplug-in v3.45 opens this URL in the browser window, no problem:

rtsp://rm-acl.bbc.co.uk/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/business/video/146000/bb/146784_16x9_bb.rm

> Of course, it would be nicer if it were an Open Format like Theora, or
> even the Beeb's own Dirac (why don't they use their own codec???), but
> MPlayer supports RealMedia (and even WMV), nonetheless (provided it is
> not DRM encumbered).

He was referring to the iPlayer in this case. As in "i", the BBC in a joint
venture with Microsoft, provide a service to "i" (and me, myself and "i"
only). The BBC is got itself into a hall of shame there for all to see. And
it's tax-funded!

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 01:20:01 up 4 days, 11:00,  3 users,  load average: 1.18, 1.28, 1.69