[News] Opening Up of Education and Spectrum (Open Source Ideals Everywhere)

  • Subject: [News] Opening Up of Education and Spectrum (Open Source Ideals Everywhere)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 04:53:39 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Can Higher Education Be Open Source? (2)

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday I speculated that the open source model in the software world is
| going to undermine the basic delivery system for higher education in the
| United States (and perhaps elsewhere). Today I want to consider what,
| exactly, a transformed system of education might look like.
`----

http://edwired.org/?p=264

Incumbents To Sweep Spectrum Auction, Analysts Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week's auction by the Federal Communications Commission of 700 megahertz
| of radio spectrum - billed by many as a David versus Goliath match between
| independent wireless providers and more established incumbent companies - is
| expected to end with a sweep by the larger companies.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200801181849DOWJONESDJONLINE000967_FORTUNE5.htm

Related:

Seneca College and open source education

,----[ Quote ]
| On the other hand, since Riehle's community open source projects (Linux,
| Apache, Eclipse, etc.) are cross-company by definition, a graduate of (say) a
| hypothetical "Linux University" would likely face minimal barriers moving
| between any of the companies involved in Linux kernel development; ditto for
| Apache, Eclipse, and (as noted above) Mozilla itself. This is especially true
| if the curriculum required students to invest a substantial amount of time in
| actively participating in the project in question (as Seneca's does).
`----

http://hecker.org/mozilla/seneca-college-and-open-source-education

Open Education Search

,----[ Quote ]
| The initiative's goal is to build a comprehensive directory of open
| educational resources, encouraging their broader discovery and use.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/08/open_education.html

Berkman Center and CALI Partner to Create New Legal Education Resource

,----[ Quote ]
| “We are looking forward to renewing a fruitful relationship with Harvard Law
| School through the Legal Education Commons project, which will provide
| innovative tools and access to open-licensed course materials to our more
| than 200 member law schools” said CALI Executive Director John Mayer.
`----

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/home/newsroom/pressreleases/berkman_center_and_cali_partner_to_create_new_legal_education_resource

OpenCourseWare: Open Source at MIT

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chinese translations come from Chinese Open Resources for
| Education (CORE), a consortium of China's top universities that
| has translated 110 MIT courses into Simplified Chinese, and
| Opensource OpenCourseWare Prototype System (OOPS), a volunteer
| organization that has translated 25 courses into Traditional Chinese.
| OCW materials have been translated into other languages as well,
| including French, German, Thai, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese. Users
| can create their own translations provided they meet the permissions
| criteria of the Creative Commons license.

MIT Faculty and Libraries Refuse DRM; SAE Digital Library Canceled

,----[ Quote ]
| SAE's DRM technology severely limits use of SAE papers and
| imposes unnecessary burdens on readers. With this technology,
| users must download a DRM plugin, Adobe?s "FileOpen," in order
| to read SAE papers. This plugin limits use to on-screen viewing
| and making a single printed copy, and does not work on Linux
| or Unix platforms.
`----

http://news-libraries.mit.edu/blog/archives/category/subject-areas/engineering/

MIT Rejects SAE's DRM Policy, Prompts Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V127/N26/drm.html