[News] [Rival] OOXML a Zombie 'Standard', ISO a Microsoft Zombie

The month of the zombie standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Ah, here we are back in 2007, in the good old summer 2007 where everything
| for the ISO was fine. Everything works just fine, there’s nothing to see, so
| mind your own business folks. Worldwide fraud, four appeals for a standard
| that has “been conducted in conformity with the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Directives”
| pressures on governments standards bodies, one investigation on OOXML led by
| the European Commission… and appeals “should not be processed further”?
|
| Somehow I think we have missed one thing or two with the ISO. I don’t exactly
| know what it is we missed. Perhaps it was a better understanding of how they
| work. Perhaps it was money. Perhaps it was just all about taking them out for
| a walk and show them the world before they all got brainwashed.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/07/09/the-month-of-the-zombie-standards/

The Alex Brown shill is already making fun of the appeals too. Doesn't he flog
OOXML for the British Librarisoft?

Never forget how Microsoft bribed charities. This is a criminal company on so
many levels. Shortly afterwards, the Managing Director ran away.

Related:

Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
| specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
| IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
| who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
| Microsoft pressure tactics.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038/microsoft-india-using-ngos-to-fake-support-for-ooxml

Microsoft "persuades" NGOs to support OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Our friends at Linux Delhi have put up a copy of the form letters that
| Microsoft has been sending NGOs on the OOXML issue. Apparently, these NGOs
| have been sending copies of these letters to the Ministry of IT and Bureau of
| Indian standards.
`----

http://osindia.blogspot.com/2008/02/microsoft-persuades-ngos-to-support.html

Using NGOs to Push Agendas

,----[ Quote ]
| The extent to which Microsoft can go in its efforts to get OOXML is
| interesting. Microsoft has "persuaded" several non-profit organizations to
| bombard the Indian IT Secretary and the Additional Director General of the
| Bureau of Indian Standards with letters supporting its OOXML proposal. A copy
| of the form letter they have been circulating to NGOs is given below.
| Somebody should interview these NGOs to see how much they really know about
| OOXML and open standards.
|
| The sequence of events leading up to the spamming of GoI? is:
|
| Letter from an NGO thanking Microsoft (name changed to protect their
| identity)
`----

http://wiki.linux-delhi.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/OpenStandards/MsNgoLobby

IIT Bombay, Microsoft at loggerheads