[News] Red Hat Gets Nicer Graphical Boot (Called Plymouth)

Red Hat Replaces RHGB With Plymouth

,----[ Quote ]
| Providing a graphical boot process going back to the old Red Hat Linux days
| has been rhgb, or Red Hat Graphical Boot. The Red Hat Graphical Boot process
| uses an X server to display information about services starting, etc.
| However, this Red Hat project is in the process of being discontinued. The
| successor to RHGB is called Plymouth, which is being engineered by Red Hat's
| Ray Strode.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjU3OA

Lots of other distros will get it too.

Recent:

SplashTop Linux On HP, Dell Notebooks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Days after we delivered that inaugural review, we found out DeviceVM was in
| talks with OEMs about shipping SplashTop on desktops and notebooks.
|
| [...]
|
| In addition to the instant-on Linux excitement this week for the HP Envy 133,
| Dell is apparently working on a similar Linux solution. Engadget has shared
| details surrounding the Dell E and E Slim.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=splashtop_voodoo&num=1

Asus laptops get ‘instant-on Linux’

,----[ Quote ]
| The Splashtop OS, which Asus rebrands as Express Gate, consist of a
| proprietary real-time ‘core engine’ called by the notebook’s BIOS, atop which
| sits a highly customised Linux stack
`----

http://apcmag.com/Content.aspx?id=2318

Asus to launch laptops with Linux Net software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2015115267&rid=-50