[News] Linux a Good Tool, Libre Applications Count

Linux is a tool.

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, the talk lately of cute likening of Linux to other areas and items is
| interesting but still not getting through to many folks.
|
| Here's the guts of it. Linux is, not is like, but IS, a tool.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/

How to pick the right operating system for your business

,----[ Quote ]
| Many small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) – hesitant to switch to Windows
| Vista from XP – are seriously considering Linux as an alternative operating
| system (OS).
|
| The Linux vs. Microsoft issue is once more on their radar screen, partly due
| to less than stellar reviews garnered by Vista, its undistinguished sales,
| and the growing popularity of open source software.
|
| [...]
|
| While users can purchase boxed commercial versions of Linux that include
| support, every Linux distribution is also available for free under the terms
| of the open-source Gnu General Public License, or GPL.
|
| Once users decide which distribution they would like to use, they can simply
| download, burn, and install it on as many systems as they choose.
|
| The software licensing fee is zero, compared with the $300 per seat for the
| full version of Windows Vista Business Edition.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/news.asp?id=49088

Recent:

Move Your Business from Windows to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If the cost of Windows is getting your small business down, consider shifting
| to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Though you can purchase boxed commercial versions of Linux that include
| support, every Linux distribution is also available for free under the terms
| of the open-source Gnu General Public License, or GPL. Once you figure out
| which distribution you'd like to use (see below), you can simply download,
| burn, and install it on as many systems as you choose.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/147879/move_your_business_from_windows_to_linux.html

IBM launching a platform for SMB opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| It runs on Linux and encompasses everything an SMB would need from an IT
| perspective, including e-mail and collaboration with Lotus Notes and Domino,
| file management, directory services, back-up and recovery, firewall,
| anti-virus, anti-spam and the Lotus Symphony office suite.
|
| “We've completely masked all the administration complexity usually associated
| with these systems so its transparent to the SMB,” said Sean Poulley,
| vice-president of online collaboration services on the IBM software
| group. “What we've also done is completely masked Linux from the end user,
| and if you don't think that's possible you've never used TiVo.”
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=48224&cid=6

IBM to offer Linux machines

,----[ Quote ]