Re: [News] What Happens After Switching People to GNU/Linux...

On 2008-07-09, Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

> "Keep in mind that while she is a very intelligent and independent woman,
> she is by no means ´a computer person¡, and prior to her conversion had
> only very limited exposure to Linux."
>
> Very intelligent.  How, precisely, does that represent the average computer
> user?  Average users are, by definition, also average intelligence.  What a
> "very intelligent" person can easily do and what an average intelligence
> person can easily do are two different things.

She's "not a computer person". One can be extremely intelligent and not
know the first thing about simple things, or understand anything about
computers.

Besides, he may have been flattering her because he expected she
might/will see the writeup. If it was a guy, he probably would have
been a little tougher on his characterization. Unless he feared a punch
in the nose.

> "This just goes to show that with appropriate prep and help through the
> initial hurdles, non-techies can happily and successfully use Linux. In
> this case, the only active support she received is the same support that
> Windows and OSX users take for granted; having their OS installed and
> configured for them when they take the machine out of the box."
>
> Umm.. not quite.  The windows machine you buy at a store has been installed
> and configured for use by the average person.

"for" isn't "by". The "average person" doesn't install and configure
the Winders machine. Trained monkeys and/or machines install and
configure it to meet the specifications and hardware of the machine. By
definition, this makes it "customized and configured" for "the needs"
of the buyer, although it's still a generic machine in that regard.

Nice try, though. Billy Buttcrust would be proud of the attempt.

--
Microsoft's relationship to its users is that of the blue whale to
krill. Our only purpose is to breed, feed and get squeezed against its