Re: Microsoft's obsession with Linux's market share.

____/ Homer on Wednesday 09 July 2008 01:18 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that someone pretending to be Kadaitcha Man
> spake thusly:
>
>> <SNIP SHILLINK>
>
> Why are Microsoft and its "evangelists" so obsessed over a competing
> technology with such a supposedly tiny market share?

I didn't get the OP (your message is orphaned), but it's amusing to see how one
shill cites another for 'validation'.

For all I can tell:

1) Ballmer and Ozzie confirm that Free software is the #1 threat and they got
caught fighting it even using bribery. That's how miserable they are.

2) Linux users tend to be smarter. They visit different sites. Those sites tend
to be smart enough to realise the importance of privacy (remember
YouTube-Viacom?) . As such, they don't divulge their logs. Many sites,
including mine, see 1 in about 3 visitors using Linux. No, it's not the real
market share, but it's the type of thing that totally escapes the view
of 'junk food' statistics. For Microsoft to offer the logs of its partners to
game stats would hardly be surprising. It still spam Webmasters in order to
pimp its search engine (last reported yesterday).

There are lies, damn lies, and stats. And there's scum like Microsoft that
games stats like it's a bodily function.

> Seriously.
>
> If Linux is no threat to them, then why even discuss it at all, much
> less constantly obsess over it?
>
> Doesn't it seem rather irrational to constantly attack and denigrate
> something so apparently insignificant?
>
> What could possibly motivate Microsoft and its "evangelists" to do such
> a thing?
>
> What dimwits like Kingsley-Hughes fail to understand, is that their
> constant belittlement of Linux only serves to remind the rest of us how
> worried Microsoft is about it, to the point that they'd mount a campaign
> of FUD and hatred against it using "evangelists" like him and others
> (including various "evangelists" in this group).
>
> Clearly /they/ are far more worried about Linux's future than we are.
>
> Given that Linux is /free/ (cost), frankly any discussion of its
> "market" share is entirely moot anyway.
>
> /We/ have nothing to lose. /They/ have everything to lose. And clearly
> they are very; very worried about losing it.
>
> I wonder what could possibly cause them to worry so much about something
> with such a supposedly "tiny market share"?

It's better not to respond to the big lie. They try to make a self-fulfilling
prophecy come true. It's about deterring developers, users and business
entrants.

Follow the numbers:

Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As with any GNU/Linux distribution, exact figures for use are hard to come by
| for Famelix. However, other users of the distribution include 62 military
| units, and schools and digital inclusion centers throughout South America. On
| its home site, the distribution has had more than 22 million downloads -- at
| least 14 million of them in the last 12 months, thanks mainly to the first
| releases to support German, English, and Italian in addition to the original
| Spanish and Portugese. By any standard, the distribution seems a success.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/135104

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 133 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie