[News] Australian Government Pressured to Adopt Free Software

Community to Gilliard: 'Consider Open Source'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Open Source community has called for the consideration of Free
| and Open Source Software (FOSS) in the implementation of the Rudd
| Government’s Digital Education Revolution Policy.
|
| In an open letter that was submitted last week to the Deputy Prime Minister
| Julia Gilliard, members of the community expressed its support of the
| Government’s investment in Australian ICT capabilities, education and
| training.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/79966,community-to-gilliard-consider-open-source.aspx

Last week:

Bid to push FOSS in Australian secondary schools

,----[ Quote ]
| A group of free and open source advocates in Australia has made a timely move
| to try and increase the use of FOSS in the nation's secondary schools.
|
| [...]
|
| Among the other signatories were Max McLaren, the general manager for Red Hat
| Linux in the Asia-Pacific region, and Karen Koomen, who handles government
| affairs for IBM Australia. Local Linux luminaries Stewart Smith, the current
| president of Linux Australia, well-known kernel hacker Paul "Rusty" Russell
| and Andrew Tridgell, Australia's best known free software personality and the
| developer of Samba and rsync, are also part of the push.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19209/1148/

Recent:

CeBIT 08: Senator Lundy lobbies for Open Source change

,----[ Quote ]
| Lundy also described debates about allowing open access to Crown copyright
| material, open access to government-funded research, and Open Source
| licensing of software that is developed with taxpayers’ money.
|
| “Governments tend to want to hold onto that [software] as an asset, and a lot
| of opportunities for innovation are lost that way,” Lundy said.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/76453,senator-lundy-lobbies-for-open-source-change.aspx

Open Source programmers earn more and combat trade deficit

,----[ Quote ]
| The findings from the fourth-quarter 2007 Open Source Industry and Community
| survey is out. The authors say the results show open source is effective in
| combating trade deficit and that IT professionals involved in open source
| earn more than their more proprietary colleagues. Let’s check it out.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17626/1141/

Australian open source industry worth $500 million

,----[ Quote ]
| "The industry as a whole is earning $500 million," said Jeff Waugh,
| co-founder of Waugh Partners, which conducted the survey online late last
| year. "Directly open source related earnings are about $300 million, but the
| reason why we're distinguishing between these numbers is the industry is not
| just companies that build open source software. They also use open source
| products to support other parts of their business as well."
|
| Waugh said the figure was calculated by taking the midpoint earnings figures
| specified by companies who took part, and extrapolating over the broader ICT
| industry using existing data such as surveys by the Australian Bureau of
| Statistics and Australian Computer Society. Waugh Partners estimates the
| respondents represent about a quarter of the overall industry.
`----

http://www.apcmag.com/australian_open_source_industry_worth_500_million.htm

Open source increases its share

,----[ Quote ]
| BUSINESS generated directly from open source software in Australia is worth
| about $300 million a year, with government a large contributor to the pie, a
| study shows.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,,23462470-5013040,00.html?from=public_rss

Local Government Urged to Consider Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/index.php/id;546692901