[News] Ubuntu at Best Buy -- Sort of

Ubuntu At Best Buy?

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, this certainly surprised me. Today I found out that Ubuntu Linux is now
| being sold at Best Buy online and even at some stores. And normally I would
| say this is great, except there is a problem - what the heck is
| Ubuntu “complete” edition? To my knowledge, Canonical (owner of the
| copyrights and trademarks for Ubuntu) never provided any arrangement with
| ValuSoft. Because if it was true that Canonical had struck a deal with Best
| Buy, it would potentially overshadow the news we once saw with the
| Ubuntu/Dell deal.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2008/07/07/ubuntu-at-best-buy/

They already sell Linux-based laptops.

Related:

Best Buy Sells Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Add another once Windows-only PC distributor to the Linux hit list. Thanks to
| the new Asus Eee Laptop, Best Buy, the Richfield, Minnesota based
| corporation, is selling Linux on their website (you can check out the web
| page here).
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/News/Best_Buy_Sells_Linux.html

Related:

The Buzz Word Today Is Change

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe that's one of the reasons Linux has taken off in the last year; maybe
| it's the people's hunger for change that's driving companies like Dell and
| Sears to package Linux integrated computers. It might be that people are
| growing tired of expensive proprietary software that never works, provides
| poor support, is devoid of expansive, contributing communities, forces them
| to purchase new hardware sooner than they would like, and forces them to wait
| years between releases.
|
| [...]
|
| With some hope, people are realizing how much choice is out there. These
| choices help to force the big software vendors to reduce their prices, help
| to bring about change and innovation, help to put money back into the pockets
| of computer users every where.
`----

http://linuxhow2.com/News/The_Buzz_Word_Today_Is_Change.html

Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

,----[ Quote ]
| They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
| secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
| contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
| likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
`----

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

Jury Hears Microsoft Competition Suit

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge on Friday told jurors they must accept as fact that a
| federal court found in 1999 that Microsoft holds a monopoly over
| computer operating systems and that it restricted computer
| manufacturers' ability to use competing systems.
|
| [...]
|
| She said she'll show that the company used its monopoly power
| to exclude competition and control prices and that it conspired with
| other companies to restrain trade, maintaining what she called a
| chokehold on software competitors and computer manufacturers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061201/microsoft_trial.html?.v=1

Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+want+to+whack+Dell+over+its+Linux+dealings/2100-1014_3-6153904.html

Dell's secret Linux fling

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/09/dell_linux_china/

Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States