[News] Microsoft Still Linux-hostile, with 'Cheque Man' Behind the Scenes

Linux Bloggers Wax Skeptical on the Post-Gates World

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Microsoft become more kinder to the open source world now that Bill
| Gates has officially left the company? Many Linux users are skeptical of the
| possibility, with comments on Slashdot ranging from
| LighterShadeOfBlack's "I'll believe it when I see it" to Anonymous
| Coward's ""Ha ha ha ha, Ha ha ha ha, (catches breath) Ha ha ha."

Microsoft tried to be Open but failed. Miserably.

,----[ Quote ]
| In a nutshell, they are saying that they will not sue "hobbyist FOSS users
| and developers" but they will sue FOSS distributors and enterprise end-users
| who fail to obtain a patent license from Microsoft. This is no bogey man. Its
| quite clear in the announcement, and the BSA is pretty active in Malaysia,
| not hesitating in sueing end user companies.
|
| [...]
|
| Here was a golden chance for Microsoft to gain some precious goodwill with
| the Open Source Community. Instead they botched it up just like they did
| before, again and again, cementing their reputation as the biggest and
| baddest anti-FOSS company in existence today.
|
| How many other companies out there have such a anti-FOSS policies? Which
| company can be so unfriendly to their end users who prefer more choice? Why
| threaten when you should coax?
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/05/microsoft-tried.html

Related:

Sun exec accuses Microsoft of 'patent terrorism'

,----[ Quote ]
| The efforts of Microsoft to pressure the Linux community over alleged and
| unspecified patents is akin to "patent terrorism", according to a local
| executive for Sun Microsystems.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Sun-exec-accuses-Microsoft-of-patent-terrorism-/0,130061733,339280437,00.htm

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html