[News] Windows XP Only for Tinkerers, GNU/Linux for Others

Linux for housewives. XP for geeks.

,----[ Quote ]
| Yet a quick look at Amazon shows that Asus Eee’s with XP roughly $35-$100
| more than their Linux brethern. Housewives know a bargain when they see one.
|
| Microsoft Research’s Gordon Bell noted that every 10 years a new form of
| computing emerges thanks to Moore’s Law and the declining cost/increasing
| performance of ICs. Looks like the netbook is this decade’s new form: a
| minimalist computer for Internet, email, chatting, video and light
| application use.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=342

Recent:

Running Only on Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source software has found increasing acceptance within IT for
| infrastructure application - but many may still wonder, 'Is it possible to
| run a company almost entirely with open-source offerings?'
|
| [...]
|
| Although Smartleaf has about twice as many Linux desktops as Windows ones, "I
| have an assistant who spends about one-third of their time fixing
| miscellaneous problems with the Windows desktops. The Linux ones only need
| about an hour a week," Ritter said.
`----

http://www.midmarket.eweek.com/c/a/News/Running-Only-on-Open-Source-Software/

Ubuntu’s Hardy Heron nests at Fox News

,----[ Quote ]
| “Most of our developers actually run Ubuntu, so we’re definitely focused on
| correcting [the problem],” he wrote, according to the ERACC Web Log.
|
| [...]
|
| Move over, Windows … Ubuntu wants more room in the nest.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/05/07/ubuntus-hardy-heron-nests-at-fox-news/

Related:

Installing a Vista CableCARD Media Center PC (part 1): Fiasco!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/21/installing-a-vista-cablecard-media-center-pc-part-1-fiasco/