[News] Big New Release of Gentoo Linux

Gentoo Linux 2008.0 released

,----[ Quote ]
| LiveDVDs are not available for x86 or amd64, although they may become
| available in the future. The 2008.0 release also includes updated versions of
| many packages already available in your ebuild tree.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080706-release-2008.0.xml

New council elected

,----[ Quote ]
| Elections just ended for the Gentoo council for the next year. Turnout was
| 57% with 145 developers voting, which is quite excellent.
`----

http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080705-council-elected.xml

Yesterday:

Move over Mandriva, I think I’m in love!

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, up until now I have been really liking 2 flavors of Linux Mandriva and
| Ubuntu. Mandriva because I have found it to be the most stable version I have
| found yet, and Ubuntu because of bleeding edge aps, and the balls to take on
| some very impressive work (bringing Linux together, and making it user
| friendly)
|
| But… I think I have stumbled upon something amazing.  I will be installing
| this next week, and experimenting to let you know how it goes. I have
| discovered Gentoo.
`----

http://blog.taggedzi.com/?p=28

Recent:

Gentoo (or Finding Linux Nirvana)

,----[ Quote ]
| Believe me, the end result when you get something right is worth it!
`----

http://pc-eye.blogspot.com/2008/07/gentoo-or-finding-linux-nirvana.html

Does Gentoo make sense?

| Contrast it with installing binary packages. You can never be sure that you
| are not missing a library or if they have a conflicting version.
| Conceptually, Gentoo vs. Ubuntu is analogous to compiled and statically typed
| languages, e.g. C++ or Java, versus interpreted and dynamically typed
| languages, e.g. Python or Ruby.
|
| Interpreted and dynamically typed languages enjoy a shorter development cycle
| but are somewhat more brittle whereas compiled and statically typed languages
| have a slower development cycle but are often deemed more reliable.
`----

http://ceki.blogspot.com/2008/06/does-gentoo-make-sense.html

Why I Use Gentoo?

,----[ Quote ]