[News] The Option of Minix, Father of Linux

MINIX 3 and Sound Card Buzz!

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX has been around for a while now, and to all of those who think that
| Linux is better, just remember this: MINIX is older than Linux! In fact,
| Linus Torvalds (creator of Linux) used MINIX as inspiration and a guide
| when writing Linux.
|
| If you are interested in MINIX, and don't feel like dual-booting or
| getting rid of your current operating system, MINIX can be run on a
| virtual machine. See http://www.minix3.org/doc/faq.html#simulators for
| more details!
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2008/07/minix_3_and_sou.html

Related:

DIY CPU demo'd running Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Buzbee offered the first public demonstration of the Minix OS -- a
| cousin of Linux -- running on his homebrew minicomputer, today at the Vintage
| Computer Festival in Mountain View, Calif. Magic-1, built with 74-series TTL
| ICs using wire-wrap construction, implements a homebrew, 8086-like ISA.

Interview with Dr Andrew S Tanenbaum

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew S Tanenbaum: A couple of years ago this guy called Ken Brown
| wrote a book saying that Linus stole Linux from me, from Minix,
| and therefore the intellectual property rights are unclear and
| therefore companies shouldn't use Linux because I might sue them.
|
| It later came out that Microsoft had paid him to do this --
| and I defended Linus. I wrote on my Web site saying that this
| guy Brown came through, visited me and I gave him the
| [correct] story.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/strategy/architecture/soa/Interview_with_Dr_Andrew_S_Tanenbaum/0,339028264,339273224,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/3c78xz

Debian GNU/Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally someone has seen the light and started a project that I called for in
| a previous article. This melding of the Minix kernel with the GNU userland is
| called Preventa, and seems to poke fun at the name Nexenta, a similar project
| using the Solaris kernel, all in good fun I’m sure, considering that the
| project leader’s blog is called “La Salle Debain” (a play on “Debian” and the
| French for “bathroom”).
`----

http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/debian-gnuminix/

Minix 3.1.3

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn't Ubuntu Linux, or even Linux at all, and it shows. That's
| not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to know what you're
| getting into.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/minix313.htm

Release Notes of MINIX 3.1.3 - Developer's Interim Release

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX 3.1.3 was released friday, april 13th 2007. It is not a full-quality,
| stable release but a work-in-progress interim release.
`----

http://www.minix3.org/download/releasenotes-3.1.3.html

Review of Minix 3.1.2a IDE build2

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been some controversy regarding the intertwined histories
| of Linux and Minix. It's true that Linus Torvalds used Minix and the
| first versions of Linux required a Minix system to boot from.
|
| [...]
|
| The overall feel of Minix is super lightweight and fast. It reminds
| me of older Unix systems with the behaviour of some of the
| system tools.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/review_of_minix_3.1.2a_ide_build2.html

MINIX: what is it, and why is it still relevant?

,----[ Quote ]
| MINIX, as originated by Andy Tanenbaum, is an operating system that
| has its roots and heart in academia as a tool that teaches you how
| kernels really should work. Recently, however, with the advent of
| version three of this rock solid OS, the focus is on making a
| production ripe embedded distribution.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/minix

Comparing Linux and Minix

,----[ Quote ]
| The UnixBench results (raw results: Minix, Linux) paint a rather
| different picture. These results are summarized in the plot to the
| left; the upper bar for each test represents Linux. The measured
| system call overhead for Minix is a full ten times higher than
| the value for Linux. The file copy tests ran between two and ten
| times faster on Linux. Pipe throughput differed by a factor of
| seven; Minix was 140 times slower at process creation. The
| difference in shell script execution performance, however, was
| 1.4 - in Minix's favor. One assumes that the rather simple shell
| provided by Minix is, at least, faster than bash.
`----

http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/220255/2031d5ff96d848d5/

Tanenbaum outlines his vision for a grandma-proof OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Software today is blighted by being too bloated, says Andrew Tanenbaum
|
| [...]
|
| "Maybe the direction Linux could go would be [as] the system that is
| ultra reliable, that works all the time and has not got all the
| problems that you get in Windows," he suggested.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1942598204;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

Andrew Tanenbaum: Operating systems' Mr Reliable

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id%3b925218285%3bfp%3b16%3bfpid%3b1