[News] Charlie McCreevy, Sarkozy and Other Agents of Monopolies Pick the Back Door

  • Subject: [News] Charlie McCreevy, Sarkozy and Other Agents of Monopolies Pick the Back Door
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:28:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU Internal Market and Services: Legislative strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Commissioner Charlie McCreevy has chosen...
|
| [...]
|
| Work continues on the patent litigation system and on the Community patent.
| Since the Commission adopted the Communication "Enhancing a patent system in
| Europe" in April 2007, it has been actively working towards a consensus on
| the key elements among Member States in the Council under the German,
| Portuguese and Slovenian Presidency in the Council.
`----

http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/eu_baltics/?doc=2974

The Community patent is a back door for software patents.

French Unveil Presidency Priorities

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.ehealthnews.eu/content/view/1217/27/

French unveil presidency priorities

,----[ Quote ]
| The French have set the construction of the European Research Area (ERA) as
| the main research priority for their presidency of the EU. Other priorities
| include boosting Europe's role in space and making progress towards a
| Community patent.
`----

http://cordis.europa.eu/fetch?CALLER=EN_NEWS&ACTION=D&SESSION=&RCN=29611

Recent:

French Government decides to censor the Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, worse still is that any site is now game for a French blockade, as
| Sarkozy’s government is inviting people to send in huge long lists of sites
| which offend their delicate sensibilities. The French government, which will
| purportedly be able to receive complaints from Internet users in real time,
| will be able to add sites to a so called “black list”, which it will then
| force national ISPs to block.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/10/french-government-decides

Trade agreement could hit privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| In recent weeks, fears about the ACTA have spilled into the political arena.
| In Canada, opposition Members of Parliament have raised concerns in the House
| of Commons and Toronto-area Liberal MP Bob Rae blogged that it "augurs a
| ridiculously intrusive national and international apparatus to police
| practices that are as common as eating and breathing."
|
| With another round of talks set for next month in Japan, participating
| governments should use the opportunity to lift the veil of ACTA secrecy.
| Trade negotiators may prefer to remain outside of the spotlight, yet greater
| transparency is desperately needed.

Embattled ACTA Negotiations Next Week In Geneva; US Sees Signing This Year

,----[ Quote ]
| Criticism from NGOs
|
| Canadian law expert David Fewer, staff counsel at the University of Ottawa’s
| Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic, told the Ottawa Citizen
| that the discussion paper was very close to a potential Christmas wish-list
| by Hollywood companies.
|
| Knowledge Ecology International (KEI), in an earlier statement filed to USTR,
| warned against a lack in differentiation and clearness of core terms, like
| counterfeiting, infringement or piracy. “Is Microsoft a “pirate” for
| insisting on the right to continue to infringe the z4 patents in order to use
| an infringing DRM technology to protect Microsoft software itself from
| infringement by unauthorised uses?” KEI asked in its statement.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1071

Related:

The British Library - "The world's knowledge" DRM'd and for a price

,----[ Quote ]