[News] Gates Escapes Sinking Ship as GNU/Linux Rises

Bill Gates Steps Down, as Tech Users Reflect

,----[ Quote ]
| Many computer users have eagerly sought what they consider a more reliable,
| secure, unambiguous operating system for their personal computers. This has
| resulted in a surge of popularity in certain GNU/Linux OSs. As an interesting
| example of this growing trend, one could compare the number of uploaders and
| downloaders ("seeders" and "leechers") of a popular GNU/Linux OS (eg. Ubuntu)
| on a popular peer-to-peer bittorrent site with a popular piece of media
| available on such a web site. The ratio of GNU/Linux OS to popular media is
| significant (20 to 50 times more). This gives an adequate idea of how quickly
| GNU/Linux use is increasing.
`----

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0807/S00039.htm

Yesterday:

It's not the Gates, it's the bars

,----[ Quote ]
| To pay so much attention to Bill Gates' retirement is missing the point. What
| really matters is not Gates, nor Microsoft, but the unethical system of
| restrictions that Microsoft, like many other software companies, imposes on
| its customers.
|
| [...]
|
| But Gates didn't invent proprietary software, and thousands of other
| companies do the same thing. It's wrong, no matter who does it.
|
| Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and the rest, offer you software that gives them
| power over you. A change in executives or companies is not important. What we
| need to change is this system.
|
| That's what the free software movement is all about. "Free" refers to
| freedom: we write and publish software that users are free to share and
| modify.
|
| We do this systematically, for freedom's sake; some of us paid, many as
| volunteers. We already have complete free operating systems, including
| GNU/Linux.

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html