[News] New Eee PCs Linux-only (No Windows Option)

Asustek's Latest Eee PCs Shipping in Asia in July

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eee PC 1000 and 1000H are also a bit more expensive. While prices will
| vary by market, in Taiwan, the Eee PC 1000, which runs on Linux only and
| carries a 40G byte SDD, costs NT$19,988 (US$658), compared to NT$18,988
| (US$625) for the 1000H, which comes with either Linux or Windows XP.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/147956/asusteks_latest_eee_pcs_shipping_in_asia_in_july.html

Feature: The Four Levels of Small Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't need a desktop anymore, unless you really want to get into some
| hardcore gaming or multimedia editing.
`----

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/334/C15676/

No d***top, Sherlock?

Recent:

Scott Munro's Games Round-Up

,----[ Quote ]
| RARELY have a company shaken up the world of technology more than Asus did
| with their Eee 701 notebook PC a year ago.
|
| [...]
|
| My review unit came with Windows XP - the 701s ran on a customised Xandros
| Linux operating system, still an option for the new model and the 901,
| launching here on July 1.
|
| I prefer the Linux OS myself - it runs faster on the Eee's 900Mhz Celeron
| processor, but the 1024MB of RAM certainly help push things along nicely.
`----

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/entertainment-catch-all/2008/06/27/tech-heads-86908-20622491/

Cheap Linux PCs Scare Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| As I sit here looking at my Zonbu(s) (a mini and the notebook), I cannot help
| but feel overwhelming dismay over all the progress made with "ready-to-go"
| Linux solutions like the Eee, Cloudbook and of course, the OLPC project. My
| concern is not in regard to the projects themselves, but it’s where Microsoft
| is trying to edge their way into something that Linux was working magic with
| first.
|
| First, we hear about XP coming to the Eee. Then as if a bad omen has come to
| pass after OLPC and Intel have their falling out, Microsoft is here to pickup
| on the down and out group in hopes of cashing in with installing Windows XP
| on the specialized notebook.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2793&Itemid=449

Feeling the heat at Microsoft