Re: [News] [Rival] H-P Still Doing Microsoft's Dirty Laundry

____/ Homer on Friday 04 July 2008 05:19 : \____

>> An Open Video to HP
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Shawn Powers has a message for hardware vendors. Listen up!
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/open-letter-hp
>
> HP "recommends" Vista ... on a machine that can't possibly run Vista.
>
> Oh   My   Goat!
>
> Well that pretty much confirms what we knew all along, that those cheesy
> "[Vendor] recommends xyz" labels were just some form of contractual
> obligation, since no company is going to /genuinely/ recommend an OS
> (Vista) that can't actually run at all on the featured hardware (HP mini
> notebook).
>
> That's another of the Trolls' FUD attack vectors squished like a bug.
>
> BTW: Powers is better than Pirillo too ;)

It's a form of a Big Lie. People might think that Vista is actually recommended
if the slogan is repeated in many place (remember "people-ready" shills
[1,2,3] and other sickening stories [4]?). Isn't there a law against this?
Called "false advertising" or something along those lines?

___
[1] Microsoft pays star writers to recite slogan

,----[ Quote ]
| The stodgy old media industry has a rule that newspaper reporters, and TV
| news hosts, shouldn't trade on their public trust to endorse products.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/federated-media/microsoft-pays-star-writers-to-recite-slogan-271485.php

[2] Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]
| What would possess a collection of online publishers and venture capitalists
| to pimp a Microsoft advertising slogan?
|
| Valleywag today reported about a site tied to a Microsoft ad campaign
| where the likes of Michael Arrington, Om Malik and others seemingly
| lend their support to the "people-ready" catchphrase.
|
| I sent e-mails both to Arrington and Malik and--surprise,
| surprise--heard nothing back. (Obviously, they are not yet
| sufficiently "Coop-ready.") Microsoft was still checking for me into
| whether money exchanged hands. But even if not a single shekel exchanged
| hands, I must wonder about the absence of common sense. Why would
| ostensibly independent voices come across as Microsoft shills? If
| they were hoping for a free dinner with Bill Gates, there are
| smarter ways to go about it.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733995-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

[3]

,----[ Quote ]
| "The main thing I'm pissed off about right now is that they pulled all the
| ads, which mean we're taking a revenue hit. We're running a business here,
| and have payroll to make. We run ads to make that payroll. Those ads have now
| been pulled."
|
| Microsoft once again corrupts confidence in the blogsphere. They
| turn 'citizen journalists' to marketing people in disguise.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9734034-7.html?tag=head

[4] Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a professor and you mention Microsoft programming tools in a
| scholarly presentation -- in fact, even if you just use the tools --
| Microsoft will send you a check for $200.
`----

http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/art-44.dir/issue-33.dir/33a03001.htm

One person' diction is another's verbiage
Swap:  1510068k total,   409320k used,  1100748k free,    45364k cached