Re: [News] Charlie McCreevy and Microsoft Pressure Groups Fight for Software Patents in EU

> [The Microsoft Shill Jonathan Zuck Attacks Europe Again]
>
> Anger as IP sacrificed for interoperability
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Jonathan Zuck, president of the Association for Competitive Technology, said
>| the EU scored an own goal with the document. "It aims to facilitate digital
>| cooperation among European administrations, but in effect it excludes many
>| well-established technologies from being used for e-Government services due
>| to a narrow definition of open standards."
> `----
>
> http://www.managingip.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=1964355&LS=EMS189365
>
> - From http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php
>
> [PJ: Yup.  The BSA and CompTIA are riding agin. Yippee-ki-yi-ay, it's a range
> war, and here comes the pr machine, and along with them dutifully ride some of
> the media. "The software industry" is expressing concerns?  IP is
> being "sacrificed"? Or is it some fronts for Microsoft expressing concern?
> Take your pick. I'm pretty sure Red Hat isn't complaining, and they are part
> of the software industry, after all.  And not even  all the members of these
> organizations wish to be represented this way [...]]

"A narrow definition of open standards"??? I know that this is
corruption in action, but surely anyone can see that this statement is
internally inconsistent.  Open Standards, by their nature, require,
well, openness.  Microsoft's business model is based around proprietary,
vertically locked-stacks linked by proprietarised "embraced and
extended" protocols, thus making exit a phenomenally expensive
proposition for any organisation which has bought into the model.  The
main reason for choosing to exit as soon as possible from such a
position is that one can be 100% certain that exiting tomorrow will be
more expensive than today, so the sooner this debt is cleared, the
better.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |