[News] RMS Responds to Media's Gates Obssession and Unethical Software

It's not the Gates, it's the bars

,----[ Quote ]
| To pay so much attention to Bill Gates' retirement is missing the point. What
| really matters is not Gates, nor Microsoft, but the unethical system of
| restrictions that Microsoft, like many other software companies, imposes on
| its customers.
|
| [...]
|
| But Gates didn't invent proprietary software, and thousands of other
| companies do the same thing. It's wrong, no matter who does it.
|
| Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, and the rest, offer you software that gives them
| power over you. A change in executives or companies is not important. What we
| need to change is this system.
|
| That's what the free software movement is all about. "Free" refers to
| freedom: we write and publish software that users are free to share and
| modify.
|
| We do this systematically, for freedom's sake; some of us paid, many as
| volunteers. We already have complete free operating systems, including
| GNU/Linux.

The Gates Transition

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with the BBC which is being widely linked, I recently
| said “claims by Microsoft that people were buying their software because it
| was good are pretty self-serving.” The BBC didn’t run the rest of what I said
| about Microsoft’s success, probably because they were looking to find someone
| to set up opposite Bill. Fine. These days we have blogs, so here’s my
| unfiltered side of the story.
`----

http://blog.kapor.com/?p=85

Gates chose the right time to leave Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| I can remember reporting on a leaked internal memo that Bill Gates issued to
| Microsoft staff in 1995 which was a literal call to arms to fight both
| Netscape (not mentioned by name) and the onset of the Internet. It was
| obvious to Gates that the cards were on the table and the Internet was
| holding all the Aces.
|
| [...]
|
| Gates also watched as Microsoft's last great Wintel project Vista turned into
| a disappointing flop, with many users and pundits believing that it offered
| no significant improvements over Windows XP. Similar things could said for
| Office 2007.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19100/1023/

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263