[News] Home Automation with Linux, IBM Deploys on GNU/Linux

Home automation in GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Home Automation is anything that your home does for you automatically to make
| living there more enjoyable or productive. It covers many areas, including
| remote and timed control of lights and electrical home appliances,
| distributed media services, and communication. Over the last 10 years, many
| hardware manufacturers have presented their own proprietary solutions to
| these problems. Unbeknownst to them, a groundswell of developers from around
| the world has been providing similar solutions to the free and open source
| community.
|
| In this introductory article, I will carry out a high-level review of a
| number of these projects to see what is already available.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/home_automation_in_linux

IBM BI Software now Available for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Cognos, an IBM company, and a provider of BI and performance management
| solutions, has announced that IBM Cognos 8 BI software is now available for
| Linux on System z. With IBM Cognos 8 BI for Linux on System z, the company
| claims customers will now be able to efficiently report and analyze
| transactional systems directly on the mainframe, so workers across an
| organization can use information to quickly identify and respond to critical
| business trends.
`----

http://www.cxotoday.com/India/News/IBM_BI_Software_now_Available_for_Linux/551-90799-911.html

Related:

Lotus Notes 8.5 to fully support Ubuntu Linux 7.0 in mid-2008

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're doing pilots with customers now," Satyadas said. "Some of the requests
| came from big companies" with as many as 100,000 users that are interested in
| moving to Ubuntu Linux on the desktop.
|
| [...]
|
| "Linux is cool now," he said. "We use it ourselves. We are able to offer a
| secure, rich and cost-effective Microsoft alternative."
`----

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=hardware&articleId=9058900&taxonomyId=12&intsrc=kc_top

Notebook: IBM’s Linux desktop installs; Notes evolution; Data center stats

,----[ Quote ]
| Just for context IBM doesn’t have any specific policy on Linux desktop
| adoption and no quota or deadline to migrate more users. Walicki noted that
| IBM has a role-based PC policy. The data center folks and firmware people
| will use Linux. Your average cubicle dweller has a choice of Windows or
| Linux.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7386

Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs

,----[ Quote ]