[News] [Rival] Everybody Hates Windows Vista

Windows Vista, meet my Mother-In-Law.

,----[ Quot ]
| “What the hell is wrong with this computer? I thought you said a Lenovo
| ThinkPad was a nice machine when you had me buy it only a few months ago.”
|
| “It is a nice machine, Mom, it’s the same kind I have. It’s just that you
| happen to be using Windows Vista, which is a piece of crap.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9204

Recent:

Everybody Hates Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| But only if Microsoft stops plugging its ears.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/04/28/everybody-hates-vista.aspx

Microsoft struggles to get act together

,----[ Quote ]
| In an effort to satisfy the throngs of dissatisfied Vista users, several
| major PC manufacturers have taken advantage of the downgrade rights provided
| by Microsoft to the Business and Ultimate Vista suites. The clause, which is
| part of the licensing agreement, states that if a customer specifically
| requests it, PC makers may ship machines pre-installed with XP, with the
| option to upgrade to Vista for free, if they should they choose to at some
| point down the road.
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, all of this just prompts the question: Why not just return to the
| old layout everyone in the world of technology knew and understood!? Like
| grandpappy always said: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
`----

http://uweekly.com/newsmag/04-30-2008/8344

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

Microsoft’s elephant in the OS room: Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s three reasons for the client malaise are all legitimate. What’s
| curious is that piracy–always a big deal for Microsoft–was mentioned 12 times
| on the conference call by CFO Christopher Liddell and analysts, who were
| following the software giant’s lead. The takeaway: Microsoft is facing tough
| growth comparisons and any blip in piracy levels can be the difference
| between Vista and XP hitting Wall Street targets. If Microsoft didn’t need
| that extra percent of growth or two it’s unlikely we’d get a conference call
| where piracy chatter was dominant.
|
| Also see: Salesforce dumping 4,000 PCs for Macs?
|
| But let’s dig deeper: Could it be that the real elephant in the room was
| Apple? Let’s be real: Apple isn’t taking over operating system dominance, but
| it is fast enough to take away a few incremental dollars from Microsoft.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8614&tag=nl.e589

Is Vista to Blame for Windows Revenue Drop?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,145153-pg,1/article.html