[News] Enterprises Look for Someone to Blame, Misundertand Linux

Why enterprise still cannot accept Linux.

,----[ Quote ]
| These companies that support Linux are not little fly by nighters either.
| They are the giants and grand daddies of the computing world. Three names
| that every enterprise would immediately recognise and trust are IBM, HP and
| Oracle. Those three companies support and endorse Linux and one of them even
| produces it's own version of Linux which it guarantees.
|
| These companies and more don't sell Linux. They sell support for Linux. Their
| market is targeted at the enterprises sector and it specifically addresses
| the lack of support argument. Depending on the support contract you purchase
| you can have up to 24/7 support and a guaranteed fix for your problem.
|
| Yet enterprise organisations still cannot accept that because Linux itself is
| not produced by a single company. They can accept Microsoft and Apple because
| they sell a right to use that operating system and also sell support for it.
| However even that support is lacking. For one, if the problem is finally
| determined to be a problem in the operating system there is no guarantee that
| a patch will be supplied.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/why-enterprise-still-cannot-accept-linux-25705

It's a perceptual issue, not a technical issue, which is good news.

Recent:

New banking code cracks down on out-of-date software

,----[ Quote ]
| The banking industry has re-affirmed a policy that makes online banking
| customers responsible for losses if they have out of date anti-virus or
| anti-phishing protection. New Banking Codes for consumers and businesses took
| effect on Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/04/banking_code_2008/

Microsoft's 10Q Risk Factors Lists Conceivable Liability for Data Leaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Improper disclosure of personal data could result in liability and harm our
| reputation. We store and process significant amounts of personally
| identifiable information. It is possible that our security controls over
| personal data, our training of employees and vendors on data security, and
| other practices we follow may not prevent the improper disclosure of
| personally identifiable information. Such disclosure could harm our
| reputation and subject us to liability under laws that protect personal data,
| resulting in increased costs or loss of revenue. Our software products also
| enable our customers to store and process personal data. Perceptions that our
| products do not adequately protect the privacy of personal information could
| inhibit sales of our products.
`----

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/789019/000119312507225854/d10q.htm

Related:

Experts are calling for product liability for software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/86932/from/rss09

,----[ Quote ]
| Ah, from the horse's mouth: Microsoft just might be held legally
| responsible for selling software that is insecure.

Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook, Outlook Express e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged that a bug in its Windows Live
| OneCare security suite has been causing users' e-mail to vanish
| from Outlook and Outlook Express.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012499

Your data or your life

,----[ Quote ]
| As unlikely and alarmist as this sounds, it could really happen. Intracare
| is the publisher of a popular practice management system called Dr. Notes.
| When some doctors balked at a drastic increase in their annual software
| lease, they were cut off from accessing their own patients? information.
|
| This situation is completely unconscionable. There can be no truly
| open doctor-patient relationship when an unrelated third party is the
| de facto owner of and gatekeeper to all related data.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1709

Windows XP repair disk kills automatic updates

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is getting a kicking from critics for this - the same people who
| slammed the company two weeks ago when Microsoft forced a Windows patch on
| users who had turned off automatic updates.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/29/windows_update_flap/

Microsoft Excel fails math test

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp.'s Excel 2007 spreadsheet program is going to have to relearn
| part of its multiplication table.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070928/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_excel_bug

Microsoft: Excel Bug Doesn't Add Up

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been depending on your Microsoft Excel software to do your number
| crunching for you, you might want to grab a calculator and review your
| spreadsheets before you send the document out the door. That's because the
| latest version of Excel is housing bugs that are dead set on ruining your
| reports.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20070927/tc_nf/55613

Use Health Vault, Lose Your Rights