[News] [SOT] UK ISPs Become Copyrights Police

BT to cut off file-sharing customers

,----[ Quote ]
| This follows a similar move by Virgin, which earlier this year joined forces
| with the BPI on an 'education campaign' aimed at those sharing copyrighted
| files.
|
| [...]
|
| ISPs have been under pressure from the government to work with the music
| industry in targeting illegal file sharers this year. Ministers have even
| threatened to introduce anti-filesharing legislation if a solution is not
| reached.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1434139294&rid=-50

They hopefully check very carefully if copyrights are involved at all. What
happens if users get chopped off the network for a mistaken judgment? How can
a CC-licensed song be told apart from RIAA-affiliated drumbeat junk?

Will ISPs later disconnect people for mistakenly watching copyrighted videos on
YouTube (as Bill Gates admitted doing)?

Recent:

Europe rejects plan to criminalize file-sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| France's so-called Oliviennes strategy to combat copyright abuse includes
| a "three strikes and you are out" approach: offenders lose the right to an
| Internet account after being caught sharing copyright-protected music over
| the Internet for a third time.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1466645745&rid=-50

Sweden Rejects Sarkozy’s War on File Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| French President Nicolas Sarkozy wants to disconnect European file sharers
| from the Internet. The idea is already in the process of being realized in
| France, and will according to Sarkozy be a step toward “a civilized Internet”
| where ISPs watch the information that their customers exchange.
`----

http://sigfridinenglish.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/sweden-rejects-sarkozys-war-on-file-sharing/

Big Brother: Sarkozy calls for it, his government does it.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/%EF%BB%BFbig-brother-sarkozy-calls-it-his-government-does-it