[News] Red Hat Has Almost Too Many Opportunities

GNU/Linux in Investors Magazine:

Former Delta Exec Whitehurst Riding High At Red Hat's Helm

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have almost too many opportunities," he said in an interview. "We have to
| really focus hard."
|
| Red Hat, with $523 million in sales last year, gets much attention for its
| size. It's long been the largest company focused on open-source Linux. It
| serves as an example for others that want to use open-source software to
| build a business worthy of Wall Street's attention.
|
| Open-source software — unlike traditional software from Microsoft (MSFT) and
| others — is freely available for anyone to tweak and upgrade, and those
| changes must be open to all users. Red Hat and other open-source companies
| make their money by offering services and support to the software.
`----

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&artnum=3&issue=20080718

Microsoft is still playing catch-up, technically speaking:

A Cloudy Future for Microsoft Partners

,----[ Quote ]
| If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Google (Nasdaq: GOOG),
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) and Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM) ought to be blushing right
| about now. Tech watchers will see lots of familiar concepts in software
| behemoth Microsoft's (Nasdaq: MSFT) revamped go-to-market strategy.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/value/2008/07/18/a-cloudy-future-for-microsoft-partners.aspx

Related:

Is Red Hat's New Development Environment Destined for an Amazon or IBM Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who will be the one to move their tools environment to the Amazon cloud
| first? Perhaps Amazon will offer several tools options, such as one for web
| apps and mashups, and another (or two) for Java development? You know you
| want to, Jeff.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56865-is-red-hat-s-new-development-environment-destined-for-an-amazon-or-ibm-cloud?source=yahoo

Red Hat, Amazon deliver Linux on demand